Having a wide range of words at your disposal is like having a secret weapon. It helps you understand more and express your thoughts clearly.
Now, there are many ways to learn new words, but a great language-learning app has become a go-to choice.
It’s convenient, interactive, and you can learn independently. But with so many apps for vocabulary out there, finding the right one can be a bit of a challenge.
That’s why we’ve tested a bunch of apps and picked the top 6 for learning vocabulary. These apps are packed with features to help you add new words to your language arsenal.
Let’s start by looking at our comparison table of these most comprehensive vocabulary apps.
|Magoosh Vocabulary Builder||Vocabulary building for exam preparation||-Free|
-Premium starts at $49.00/month
|Quizlet||Comprehensive study materials and vocabulary learning||-Free |
-Plus version starts at $7.99/month
|Word Of The Day||Daily vocabulary expansion||-Free|
-Premium starts at $9.99/month
|WordUp||Contextual vocabulary learning||-Free|
-Pro version starts at $2.99/month
|Wordela||Reading comprehension and vocabulary expansion||-Free for 7 days, then starts at $9.95/month|
|The Ling App||Vocabulary and pronunciation in over 60 languages||-Free|
-Premium starts at $8.99/month
Magoosh Vocabulary Builder App: Best For Exam Preparation
First on the list is Magoosh Vocabulary Builder, an app to make studying for big exams like the GRE, SAT, and TOEFL more enjoyable.
This app turns learning into a game, making it fun to expand your vocabulary. You can challenge yourself daily with essential words crucial for these exams.
Magoosh Vocabulary Builder’s teaching style is pretty clever. The app categorizes vocabulary into basic, intermediate, and advanced sections.
As you master each level, you unlock new, more challenging words. This way, you’re always learning at a pace that suits you.
Magoosh Vocabulary Builder’s Standout Features
- Expertly Picked Words: The app offers 1200 GRE vocab words picked by an expert tutor. These are the main words for the test.
- Audio Pronunciation: Each word in the app comes with an audio pronunciation. This helps you say new words correctly.
- Definitions and Example Sentences: Every word has its definition and example sentences. This helps you understand how to use the word.
What Users Are Saying About Magoosh Vocabulary Builder
On Google Play, Magoosh Vocabulary Builder has a high rating of 4.7 stars, with over 94.8K reviews. Users like the word selection and teaching style.
They find the game-like interface fun. The audio pronunciation and example sentences are also popular. Some users reported a boost in their vocabulary after regular use.
|Free||$0||Access to all of Magoosh’s basic GRE, SAT, and TOEFL vocab quizzes|
|1 Month Premium||$49||-More vocab quizzes|
-More practice questions
-Full-length practice tests
|6 Months Premium||$149||-Same as 1 month for 6 months|
|12 Months Premium||$249||-Same as 1 month for 12 months|
Quizlet: Best For A Variety Of Learning Modes
Ever felt like you’re stuck in a study rut? Quizlet might just be the solution. This app is more than a vocabulary builder. It’s a full-on study companion.
With Quizlet, you can make your own flashcards or pick from a whopping 500 million sets created by others.
Quizlet teaches by offering different study modes. This includes flashcards, practice tests, and even interactive games.
This mix keeps your study sessions exciting and lively. Plus, you can sort flashcards for a quick review. Want to know more about Quizlet? Check out our detailed Quizlet review.
Quizlet’s Standout Features
- Variety of Learning Modes: Quizlet offers seven different learning modes. Pick the one that suits you best.
- Flashcard Sets: Make your own flashcard sets or study from those made by others.
- Practice Tests: Quizlet lets you take practice tests to prepare for the real thing.
What Users Are Saying About Quizlet
Quizlet has a rating of 4.5 stars on Google Play, with over 564K reviews. Users love the variety of learning modes and the option to create their own flashcard sets.
Some users even said Quizlet has helped them learn new material for a job change. Others praised it as a great learning support tool for both adults and kids.
|Free||Free||-Basic and limited features|
|Quizlet Plus 1 Month||$7.99||-Unlimited studying in Learn and Test mode |
-Mixed question types
|Quizlet Plus 12 Months||$35.99||-All the perks of Quizlet Plus 1 Month for 12 months|
Word Of The Day: Best For Daily Learning
As the name says, Word of the Day is among the best apps for vocabulary that is all about learning a new word every day. It’s like getting a mini-language lesson every morning.
The way Word of the Day teaches is pretty straightforward. Each day, you get a new word, its definition, and a list of synonyms.
You can learn at your own pace and go back to the words whenever you want. It’s perfect if you like to learn a little bit every day.
Word Of The Day’s Standout Features
- Daily Word: The app gives you a new word every day. It’s a great way to make learning a part of your daily routine.
- Easy-to-Understand Definitions: Each word comes with a simple definition. It makes the word easy to understand and remember.
- List of Synonyms: The app gives you a list of synonyms for each word. It helps you understand the word better and expands your vocabulary.
What Users Are Saying About Word Of The Day
Word of the Day has some pretty good reviews on Google Play. It has a rating of 4.5 stars from over 13K reviews. Users like the app for its simplicity and how effective it is.
They like the daily word feature and find the definitions and synonyms helpful. But, some users said they’d like to see more complex words for a bit of a challenge.
|Free||$0||-Basic and limited features|
|Monthly Premium||$9.99||-Synonyms and antonyms|
-Unlimited examples and quizzes
-Ability to save words to your personal vocabulary list
|Yearly Premium||$49.99||-All of the Monthly Premium plan’s features but with an annual payment|
WordUp: Best For Contextual Learning
WordUp is like having a smart friend who knows exactly what you need to learn next. This app uses artificial intelligence to suggest a new word for you to learn daily based on your current knowledge.
WordUp uses a unique teaching method. It features a Knowledge Map that identifies the words you know and the ones you don’t.
It then suggests the most important English words for you to focus on. Also, it uses a method called Spaced Repetition, which is a proven way to help you remember words forever.
WordUp’s Standout Features
- Vocabulary Builder: This feature uses advanced algorithms to expand your vocabulary and improve your English language skills. It suggests a new word each day, helping you to gradually improve your language proficiency.
- Knowledge Map: This feature helps you identify the words you know and the ones you don’t, suggesting the most important and useful English words for you to focus on.
What Users Are Saying About WordUp
WordUp has a pretty good reputation on Google Play, with 4.6 stars from over 111K reviews. Users appreciate the app’s unique approach to language learning and vocabulary expansion.
They find the app helpful and entertaining, especially the daily vocabulary and progress tracking features. However, some users suggested the ability to scroll between each word’s main definition page for quick review.
|Free||$0||-Basic and limited features|
|Pro Monthly||$2.99||-IELTS & TOEFL Prep|
-Unlimited AI Chat
-Word Photos and Videos
-Topics and Word-lists
-Idioms and Phrases
|Pro Monthly (family sharing)||$12.99||-Pro Membership Features|
|Pro Yearly (family sharing)||$49.99||-Pro Membership Features|
|Pro Yearly||$14.99||-Pro Membership Features|
Wordela: Best For Reading Comprehension
Wordela is a cool digital platform that helps you get better at understanding what you read and boosts your word power.
It’s not just about learning new words. It’s about understanding them in different situations.
Wordela uses something called AutoLearnTM Technology. It knows exactly when to show you a word so you remember it. It keeps track of what you’re learning and helps you get better over time.
Wordela’s Standout Features
- AutoLearnTM Technology: This is the smart part of Wordela. It uses AI to make sure you’re learning at the right pace.
- Expert-Curated Lists: If you’re not sure what words to learn, don’t worry. Wordela has lists made by experts for all sorts of things, like school subjects or business talk.
- Step-by-Step Vocabulary Courses: If you like to learn in a more organized way, Wordela has 129 courses that guide you through different word lists.
What Users Are Saying About Wordela
Wordela has a 4.0-star rating on Google Play, with over 90K reviews. People who use it say it’s fun and easy to use.
They like the different reading materials and how it feels like the app really gets them. It’s clear that Wordela is helping people get better with vocabulary.
|Free||$0||-Basic and limited features|
|VIP Subscription||$9.95/month||-All word-learning features|
-168 vocabulary and career success courses
-Unlimited app installs on all platforms
-Unlimited support and upgrades
-Full access for up to 5 users
-7-day free trial
The Ling App: Best For Multilingual Vocabulary Learning
Ever thought about expanding your vocabulary in a new language, or 60+ languages? The Ling app is your go-to tool.
It’s an app that specializes in teaching a wide range of languages, with a focus on Southeast Asian and European ones. It’s one of the best language-learning apps for travelers, helping you break down language barriers and connect with locals.
The Ling app’s lessons are designed to be engaging and quick, making vocabulary building feel like a fun game.
You’ll be able to speak, read, listen, and write in the language you’re learning in no time, with a rich vocabulary to boot.
Intrigued? We’ve got a comprehensive Ling app review that dives deeper into its features, benefits, and user experiences. So, why not give it a read?
The Ling App’s Standout Features
- Progress Tracker: The Ling app includes a progress tracker that allows you to monitor your vocabulary growth and language learning journey. It’s a great motivator to keep you going!
- Community Involvement: When you join Ling, you become part of a global community of language learners. You can exchange tips, share progress, and learn together.
- Streak Feature: This feature encourages consistent learning. The more days you learn in a row, the longer your streak. It’s a fun way to make daily vocabulary building a habit.
- Weekly Updates: The Ling app keeps you in the loop with weekly email updates. You’ll always be informed about the latest features and updates to enhance your learning experience.
What Users Are Saying About Ling App
On Google Play, the Ling app has a rating of 4.2 stars from over 9.72K users. Users appreciate the wide range of languages available and the engaging nature of the lessons.
They commend the Ling app for making vocabulary building in a new language easy and enjoyable.
|1 Month||$8.99 per month||-Beginner lessons|
-200 lessons in 50 units
-Access to 60+ languages
-Sync across all your devices
-Talk with the chatbot about 20 topics
-Grammar tips in many languages
|1 Year||$79.99 ($6.67 per month)||-Same as monthly for 1 year (most popular)|
|Lifetime||$149.99 (one-time payment)||-Same as monthly but forever|
Which Apps For Vocabulary Should You Get?
So, you’ve read about all these great apps for vocabulary. You might be thinking, “Which of these vocabulary-building apps is for me?” Well, it depends on what you need. Each has its own special features.
However, if you’re looking for the best vocabulary app that ticks all the boxes, the Ling app stands out. Why? It’s not just an English vocabulary builder.
The Ling app offers courses for over 60 languages, making it a versatile choice for language enthusiasts. Whether you’re planning a trip abroad or preparing for a language exam, the Ling app won’t disappoint.
But that’s not all. The Ling app also keeps you engaged with daily updated blog posts. These posts cover a wide range of topics, from grammar rules to cultural insights, providing you with a well-rounded language learning experience.