If there’s a surefire way to get to know a country, it’s by learning its language. As this is particularly true when it comes to the fantastic Southeast Asian nation of Cambodia, here we will look at the best apps to learn Khmer.
Learning Khmer can appear daunting for beginners because of the unfamiliar script and the complicated Khmer pronunciation. However, with the correct language learning app, the mysteries of Cambodian can be easily unlocked. So, settle back and let us do the heavy lifting as we sift through the many apps available for you to learn Khmer online. We’ll choose a handful of the best that will have you up to speed with the Cambodian native language in no time at all.
What Is The Khmer Language?
The Khmer language, also known as Cambodian by native speakers, is spoken by around 16 million people. Most of the people who speak the language speak Central Khmer. However, there are three additional distinct dialects spoken outside the borders of Cambodia in the areas of Vietnam and Thailand that were once a part of the ancient Khmer empire.
The Khmer alphabet and script, which first appeared in the 7th century, owe a great deal to the Indian Brahmi system of writing, and the ancient Indian languages of Pali and Sanskrit are the parents of many Khmer words. The existence of carvings throughout Cambodia, Vietnam, and Thailand dating from between the 7th and 15th centuries is a testament to the prestige of the Old Khmer language and its influence on other Southeast Asian tongues.
Although an Austroasiatic language, and therefore closely related to the neighboring Vietnamese, Lao, Thai, and Burmese, the Khmer language is not a tonal language. This is good news for the complete beginner wanting to dive into the language with our choice of the best Khmer apps, as it is one less lesson to have to get to grips with.
So, let’s get you learning Khmer as soon as possible by reviewing the best of the language learning apps on the web available to download today. Here is our choice of the 6 best for you to check out:
|Language Learning Apps||Why Is It The Best?||Pricing|
|Tandem||Best App For Immersive Learning||$13.99 per month, $31.99 per 3 months, $79.99 per 12 months|
|Cudoo||Best Overall App||$12.99 one-time payment|
|Simply Learn||Best Easy To Use App||Free|
|Write Me||Best App For Reading And Writing||One language $9.99, Access to all languages $67.99|
|iTalki||Best App For Vocabulary||$4.00 to $30 per hour, depending on the tutor|
|Ling app||Best App For Gamified Language Learning||$8.99 per month, $79.99 per year, $149.99 per lifetime|
“Master any language by actually chatting with real people.” Tandem gets you fully immersed in learning Khmer by hooking you up with others who are interested in learning from you. The app’s intuitive messaging features and wide range of language tools help you learn your target language, and make new friends at the same time. Tandem is free to download and sign up for, and every application is carefully vetted to make sure the community remains safe, fun, and secure for all members. Once you have joined, it is easy to find Khmer speakers by exchanging details such as location and interests.
Tandem offers a range of ways for you to communicate with your new Cambodian chums, including audio, text, voice notes, or voice calls. And you don’t have to worry about keeping the conversation flowing because Tandem uses an in-app translation and correction tool.
- Because you are speaking to real Cambodians, you get to learn about the Khmer culture and way of life as well as the language.
- There is no need for any third-party software, so as soon as you are accepted into the Tandem community, all you need to do is log in and ask somebody if they have time for a chat.
- Tandem is a safe and secure platform, meaning that you don’t have to worry about the people you are in contact with. Strangers today will be your friends tomorrow.
“This app is seriously the best! It’s so crazy to meet people from the other side of the world! It’s great for improving languages because you are talking to real people. 11/10 would recommend.” – Nimah
Price: Starts At $13.99 Per Month
Devices: Android, iPad, iPhone, and Web
Learning Khmer with Cudoo means you will be tapping into an app that has many years of online teaching experience. Cudoo allows you to have complete access day and night, meaning you can brush up on your Khmer skills whenever it is convenient for you. Once you have completed your Khmer course, you will be issued a certificate that you can share online and submit to potential employers.
- Helps you develop your conversational and listening skills as well as your reading and writing if desired.
- Experienced teachers mean there are lessons available catered to whatever level of Khmer you are at, whether a beginner or a more advanced learner.
- By learning with Cudoo, you will not only learn to read and write Khmer but also be introduced to all aspects of Cambodian culture, history, and traditions.
- Cudoo allows you to learn at your own pace, on your own, or with a friend, so you can also practice with a partner when you have a spare moment or two.
“Very extensive choice of languages, offering languages that other mainstream language learning services fail to offer. My interest in Cudoo was a result of them teaching a number of Austronesian languages. The site and interface are very user-friendly, which makes learning very engaging and enjoyable. All in all, I am very impressed and look forward to further updates.” – Pewe B.
Devices: Android, iPad, iPhone, and Web.
Simply Learn Khmer is a language-learning app for those who want to make learning fun while learning the Cambodian language. The app has a minimalist design with an emphasis on aesthetics that makes it nice to look at while being easy to use.
The easy-to-navigate design makes Simply Learn the ideal app to carry with you when you are traveling around Cambodia, as you will have instant access to all the tools you need, whatever the situation.
- Simple to navigate design that allows you to easily search for complete phrases with high-quality sound recorded by a native Khmer speaker.
- Intelligent flashcards that you can use to review what you have just learned to help it stick in your brain.
- Fun Khmer quizzes to help you assess how your learning is coming along.
“Easy, fast, and funny. Just an awesome app for beginners. It includes a funny quiz to test your level and self-improvement.” – Alberto
Devices: Android, iOS
One of the biggest hurdles to get over when learning Khmer is the script. Write Me has this covered by offering users each character in Khmer as well as words containing it, promoting a thorough knowledge of the alphabet. Write Me will have you writing the letters, words, and sentences in no time.
- Animation to show you how to create each of the Khmer characters before you get to practice writing the character yourself.
- When you learn how to write the Khmer script, you will be able to test how much you have retained by taking a quiz. This is a fun way to cement what you have learned and help you perfect your handwriting.
Price: One language $9.99, Access to all languages $67.99
Devices: Android, iOS
iTalki is one of the most popular language learning apps available for those looking for a 1-on-1 experience with a real teacher. The app provides safe access to teachers around the world and will make sure you get the best out of your Khmer learning experience.
- A range of native Khmer speakers and certified teachers is available through the easy-to-navigate platform so that you can practice your Khmer at any hour of the day.
- A wide range of teachers is available to fit your budget, as well as a global community of like-minded language learners for you to get involved with.
- Free features that you can access after practicing your Khmer to help you revise what you have learned and demonstrate how well you are doing in your lessons.
- Choose the topics you want to learn. Whether you just want to brush up on your casual conversation or learn something more specific, like what to say when visiting the dentist or how to haggle at the local market, iTalki has you covered.
“A great experience. It is very easy for me to talk with my teacher. He is very helpful and knowledgeable in both Spanish and English. A very good listener. Payments and scheduling are so easy.” – Sally Goss
Price: From $4.00 To $30.00 Per Hour
Devices: Android, iPad, iPhone, and Web.
The Ling App
Ling is the app for you if you enjoy games and quizzes to help you learn a language. As well as quickly getting you up to speed with your reading and writing, the Ling app has tons of free blogs that will teach you everything you need to know about the Cambodian people and their fascinating culture.
- The Ling app caters to all levels of students of Khmer. Don’t be intimidated if you are new to the language, Ling will have you conversing like a local in your new language in no time. Ling is also the app for you if you are already a Khmer speaker and want to get to a higher level.
- Speaking with an AI chatbot helps you improve your conversational skills, and don’t worry about getting to grips with the Khmer script, as you can practice your writing with the Ling app‘s smartphone finger-tracing feature.
- The Ling app has numerous interactive games, quizzes, and flashcards to help you practice and assess how well you are getting on and what you need to work on in order to improve.
“This is an incredible app. I consider myself to be language-challenged (even in my native tongue, sometimes!), but the programmers have made this app fun, and challenging, but possible. I don’t plan on mastering Thai by any means, but this will help me understand and speak better if I have my way and get to visit someday. Thank you, Ling app developers, for your time spent in creating this fun application.” – Megan Kizer.
Price: Starts at $8.99 Per Month
Devices: Android, iPad, iPhone, and Web
Do You Agree With Our Choice Of The Best Apps To Learn Khmer?
We are always on the lookout for new apps to learn Khmer. As more come onto the market, we will continue to review them, so you can make a more informed choice about which one best caters to your particular language learning needs.
If you are keen to learn a new language or want to improve your skills in a language you are currently learning, why not check out the Ling app? With more than 60 languages from around the globe on offer and loads of interactive games and quizzes, Ling is a fun way to dive into a new learning experience. Check the Ling app out today at Google Play or the App Store.