Learning a new language goes beyond being a hobby. It’s a commitment. Research backs this up, too. DeKeyser’s 2020 study tells us that if you want to get really good at a language, you’ve got to use it a lot, especially at an advanced level.
So, you’re pretty good at Thai already? That’s good! But you’re not here to pat yourself on the back, are you? You’re looking for the next big thing to level up your skills. This article is all about that.
Here, we will talk about six apps for advanced Thai learners and find the perfect one for you. We’ll also see how the Ling app stacks up with these giants.
So, whether you’re looking to get your Thai grammar on point or have more natural conversations with native speakers, we’ve got something for you.
|App||Best For||Monthly Starting Price|
|Ling||Comprehensive Learning And Real-World Conversations||$8.99 (Free Trial Available)|
|Drops||Visual Learning and Cultural Insights||$13.00|
|Pimsleur||Audio-Centric Learning and Real-World Conversations||$19.95|
|Mondly||Conversation Focus and In-depth Grammar Lessons||$9.99|
|FluentU||Real-World Video Content and Contextual Learning||$29.99|
|Rosetta Stone||Immersive Learning and Speech Recognition||$11.99|
The Ling App: Best For Comprehensive Learning And Real-World Conversations
When it comes to advanced Thai learning, the Ling app is a force to be reckoned with. One of its standout features is the scaffolding learning approach, which systematically builds upon your existing knowledge.
Say you’ve mastered the basics of Thai sentence structures. The app will then introduce you to complex grammatical elements like subordinate clauses and idiomatic expressions. This ensures that you’re continually challenged and growing rather than revisiting what you already know.
The Ling app’s AI-based chatbot sets it apart from the crowd, designed to simulate real-world interactions. You won’t only be discussing the weather. You’ll be diving into complex topics like Thai politics and social issues. This level of complexity is often missing in other language apps.
And, of course, the instant feedback on pronunciation, a feature that’s invaluable for advanced learners looking to fine-tune their spoken Thai. Surely, the Ling app is the best for a more rounded experience, allowing you to listen and speak Thai, mimicking real-world interactions.
The Ling App’s Standout Features
- Customizable Learning Paths: Unlike many language apps offering a one-size-fits-all approach, the Ling app allows you to customize your learning path. You can choose the topics and difficulty levels that suit your needs, making your learning journey more personalized and effective.
- Native Speaker Voice Recordings: The Ling app incorporates voice recordings from native Thai speakers in its lessons. This feature provides a more authentic learning experience, enabling you to understand the nuances of pronunciation and intonation in real-world conversations.
- Interactive Grammar Challenges: The app includes a series of interactive grammar challenges that test your understanding of complex Thai grammatical structures. These challenges reinforce your learning and prepare you for advanced language usage.
What Are Users Saying About The Ling App?
- Google Play Rating: 4.2 stars with 10.3K reviews.
- Positive Feedback: Users love the interactive nature of the app, which is a hit among those looking to master Thai. One review says, “The games make learning so much fun!”
- Room for Improvement: Some users wish for a broader range of languages. A user mentioned, “Wish there were more languages available.” The Ling app already supports an extensive array of 60+ languages and is actively working on adding more, particularly less common ones.
How Much Does The Ling App Cost?
-200 lessons in 50 units
-Access to 60+ languages
-Sync across all your devices
-Talk with the chatbot about 20 topics
-Grammar tips in multiple languages
|-Same as the Monthly plan|
|-Same as the Monthly plan|
Drops: Best For Visual Learning And Cultural Insights
Drops is a visually engaging app that uses imagery and quick games to help you remember complex Thai idioms and slang. It’s almost the same as the Ling app’s gamified approach, and it’s really effective, especially for visual learners.
Drops also offers cultural insights, teaching you about Thai customs, idioms, and folklore. It’s a feature that adds another layer to your language learning.
But here’s the catch: Drops offers a more passive learning experience. Unlike the Ling app, which engages you in complex dialogues through its AI chatbot, Drops doesn’t provide the same level of interactive learning.
Drops’ Standout Features
- Time-Limited Sessions: Drops offers time-limited learning sessions that encourage focused learning. Each session lasts just five minutes, making incorporating language learning into a busy schedule easy.
- Word Collection: The app features a unique word collection system where you can save new Thai words and idioms you encounter during your lessons. This allows for easier review and reinforcement later on.
What Are Users Saying About Drops?
- Google Play Rating: 4.4 stars with 267K reviews.
- Positive Feedback: The app’s visual appeal is a standout feature, especially for those focusing on Thai vocabulary. A snippet from a review reads, “The graphics are amazing, and I’ve learned so many words.”
- Room for Improvement: The limited free content is a drawback for those who want to delve deeper into Thai. One review states, “Wish there was more free content to explore.”
How Much Does Drops Cost?
|Free||$0||-Access to one topic per day for five minutes|
|Monthly||$13.00/month||-Unlimited access to all languages and topics|
-7-day free trial
|Yearly||$69.99 ($5.83/month)||-Same as the Monthly plan|
|Lifetime||$159.99 (one-time payment)||-Same as the Monthly plan|
Pimsleur: Best For Audio-Centric Learning And Real-World Conversations
Pimsleur is an audio-centric app that immerses you in the natural pace and intonation of native Thai speakers. It’s particularly beneficial for those looking to improve their listening skills.
One notable feature of Pimsleur is its focus on real-world conversations. You’ll find yourself negotiating prices or discussing current events.
While the Ling app also offers real-world conversations through its AI chatbot, Pimsleur lacks the comprehensive content that the Ling app provides. This includes grammar tips with practical examples and retention-focused lesson structures.
Pimsleur’s Standout Features
- Driving Mode: Pimsleur offers a driving mode that allows you to engage with audio lessons while on the road, making it convenient for those who want to utilize commute time for learning.
- Role-Playing Exercises: Pimsleur incorporates role-playing exercises in its Thai courses, enabling you to practice real-world conversations in a controlled environment. This helps in improving both your speaking and listening skills.
What Are Users Saying About Pimsleur?
- Google Play Rating: 4.4 stars with 9.63K reviews.
- Positive Feedback: Users appreciate the app’s focus on conversational Thai skills, which is crucial for those aiming for fluency. A review says, “I can actually speak sentences now!”
- Room for Improvement: The subscription cost could be a hurdle for those committed to long-term Thai learning. “It’s a bit pricey,” notes a review.
How Much Does Pimsleur Cost?
|7 Days Free Trial||$0||-Limited access to all language courses|
|-Full access to one/all language course|
|-Full access to all language courses for one year|
Mondly: Best For Conversation Focus And In-Depth Grammar Lessons
Mondly offers both conversational practice and in-depth grammar lessons. It’s a well-rounded app that provides a variety of dialogues mimicking real-life situations. However, unlike other apps for advanced Thai learners, which allow you to customize your learning path, Mondly offers pre-set dialogues and lessons.
In addition to conversations, Mondly dives deep into Thai grammar, providing comprehensive lessons complete with examples and exercises.
But, in contrast, here’s where the Ling app shines: it offers a retention-focused lesson structure, ensuring that you learn and retain complex aspects of the Thai language.
Mondly’s Standout Features
- AR Learning: Mondly incorporates Augmented Reality (AR) in its Thai lessons, offering an immersive learning experience. You can interact with virtual objects and characters, making language learning more engaging.
- Language Certificates: Mondly provides you with a language certificate upon completing certain milestones. This can serve as a tangible record of your language proficiency.
What Are Users Saying About Mondly?
- Google Play Rating: 4.5 stars with 801K reviews.
- Positive Feedback: The daily lessons and interactive features are well-received, especially for consistent Thai practice. “The daily lessons are a game-changer,” a review states.
- Room for Improvement: Minor translation errors could be a concern for those who need precise Thai understanding. “Small translation errors but overall great,” a review mentions.
How Much Does Mondly Cost?
-Entire Hello category
|-Same as Free|
-Unlimited language practice
|-Same as Monthly|
-Access to new languages as they are released
|-Same as Monthly|
FluentU: Best For Real-World Video Content And Contextual Learning
FluentU uses real-world video content like news clips and interviews to improve your comprehension skills. It’s an immersive experience that goes beyond traditional language learning.
But, compared to the Ling app, which offers a gamified approach to keep you engaged, FluentU lacks such motivational elements.
FluentU also focuses on contextual learning, providing interactive subtitles, quizzes, and vocabulary lists. This strong point aligns well with the Ling app’s focus on retention through checkpoint quizzes.
FluentU’s Standout Features
- Interactive Captions: FluentU offers interactive captions for its real-world videos. You can click on any word to see an in-context definition and example sentences, enhancing your vocabulary and language comprehension skills.
- Downloadable Audio Dialogues: The app allows you to download audio dialogues for offline listening, making it convenient for learning on the go.
- Rich Quiz Content: FluentU offers quizzes that teach you using videos from the real world. These quizzes are designed to help you remember and learn Thai vocabulary more engagingly.
What Are Users Saying About FluentU?
- Google Play Rating: 4.4 stars with 3.71K reviews.
- Positive Feedback: The real-world context is a hit among users aiming for practical Thai language skills. A user notes, “Love how it uses real videos to teach.”
- Room for Improvement: Some users desire a more structured learning path, especially when focusing on Thai. “Needs more structured lessons,” a review mentions.
How Much Does FluentU Cost?
|14 Days Free Trial||$0||-Access to the website|
-iPhone and iPad app
-Courses and flashcards sets
-Audio and video lessons
|Monthly||$29.99||-All features for one language|
|-All features for one language|
|-All features for all languages|
-Lifetime access to new languages
|Family||$47.99/month||-All features for up to 6 languages|
Rosetta Stone: Best For Immersive Learning And Speech Recognition
Rosetta Stone uses an immersive approach, using images, text, and sound to help you internalize the language. It’s a tried-and-true method but lacks the customized learning paths the Ling app offers.
While Rosetta Stone throws you into the deep end, the Ling app allows you to set your daily goals and offers reminders. This helps you focus on areas that need improvement.
Rosetta Stone also offers patented speech recognition technology, providing real-time feedback on your pronunciation. While this is invaluable, the Ling app also offers instant feedback on pronunciation with assessments based on modern research in language acquisition.
Rosetta Stone’s Standout Features
- Industry-Specific Lessons: The app offers industry-specific lessons and vocabulary, making it ideal for professionals who need to communicate in Thai for work.
- Multi-Device Sync: Rosetta Stone allows you to sync your progress across multiple devices, ensuring you can continue your lessons on your phone, tablet, or computer.
What Are Users Saying About Rosetta Stone?
- Google Play Rating: 4.7 stars with 367K reviews.
- Positive Feedback: The immersive experience is highly praised, particularly for those targeting Thai fluency. One review says, “It’s like having a tutor in my pocket.”
- Room for Improvement: The mobile interface could be improved for those who rely on their phones for consistent Thai study. “The pictures on top of the screen are super tiny on a mobile phone,” a review notes.
How Much Does Rosetta Stone Cost?
-Complete immersive experience
-Speech recognition technology
|-Same features as the 3-Month plan|
|Lifetime||$299||-Includes all features of the other plans|
-Access to all 25 languages
Will These Apps For Advanced Thai Learners Really Help?
Absolutely, yes! These apps for advanced Thai learners we’ve discussed bring something unique: real-world conversations, in-depth grammar lessons, or visual learning. They’re all designed to elevate your Thai language skills.
But if you’re looking for an all-encompassing, comprehensive learning experience, the Ling app is your go-to choice.
Why? Because the Ling app doesn’t just offer one or two standout features. It provides a well-rounded approach to language learning. The Ling app is designed to meet the diverse needs of advanced learners like you.
So, if you want to learn basic Thai or are serious about mastering it and want an app that can adapt to your evolving needs, look no further. The Ling app is available for download on Google Play and the App Store.
And if you’re a language enthusiast who loves diving into the intricacies of grammar or exploring the rich tapestry of different cultures, visit Ling’s blog section for daily language articles you won’t want to miss.
So, what are you waiting for? Take the next step in your language-learning journey. Download the Ling app today and join our community of advanced learners!