You’re here because you want to learn a new language, but you’re always on the move. I totally get it. That’s why mobile language learning apps are your best bet.
They let you turn idle moments—like waiting in line or riding the bus—into productive study time. Instead of just killing time, you’re gaining a skill that could change your life.
Up next, we’ve got a comparison table that lays it all out for you. We’re talking about the best language apps for specific needs, whether that’s mastering vocabulary or practicing real conversations.
Here, we’ll cover each app’s pricing, unique features, and other users’ thoughts. Ready to find the perfect language app for you? Let’s dive into that table, and then later on, we’ll go into the specifics.
|App||Best For||Starting Price|
|Ling app||Versatility in Language Choices||$8.99/month|
|Memrise||Quick Vocabulary Boosts||$14.99/month|
|LinguaLift||Structured Lessons Anywhere||$19.99/month|
|Rosetta Stone||Immersive Learning in Transit||$11.99/month|
|Duolingo||Bite-Sized Lessons Anytime||$6.99/month|
|HelloTalk||Real Conversations, Real Quick||$6.99/month|
The Ling App: Best For Versatility In Language Choices
The Ling app is undoubtedly one of the best mobile language learning apps out there. It’s not just about the usual languages like Spanish or French; we’re talking about 60+ options here.
The lessons are incredibly practical, focusing on real-world situations like “At the Restaurant” or “Public Transportation.” I’ve found the chatbot feature to be a low-stakes way to practice dialogues, which is super useful when you’re trying to build confidence.
In terms of variety, the Ling app is unparalleled. If you love exploring less commonly taught languages like Urdu and Lithuanian, this app is a treasure trove.
And did I mention that using the Ling app is fun, too? This best language learning app includes interactive games that test your vocabulary and sentence structure. These games are engaging and reinforce what you’ve learned, making the whole experience enjoyable and educational.
The Ling App’s Standout Features
- Interactive Games: Who says learning can’t be fun? The Ling app offers quick games that are not only entertaining but also educational.
- AI Chatbot: Practice makes perfect, and The Ling app’s chatbot provides a safe space to practice real conversations without any judgment.
- Quick Exams: Got a few minutes to spare? Take a short exam to gauge your language skills. It’s a great way to see where you stand and what you must work on next.
What Are Users Saying About The Ling App?
- Rating: 4.7 stars, 4.6K reviews on Apple App Store.
- Positive Feedback: Language learners are generally impressed with the Ling app’s extensive language offerings and practical lessons. One reviewer mentioned, “Great pace of learning with good vocabulary and grammar content.”
- Room for Improvement: While the app is highly regarded, some users have suggested minor tweaks. One user noted, “I quickly realized that the spoken words for boy and girl were different from what I knew, which actually added an interesting layer to my learning.”
How Much Does The Ling App Cost?
-200 lessons in 50 units
-Access to 60+ languages
-Sync across all your devices
-Talk with the chatbot about 20 topics
-Grammar tips in many languages
|-Same as the Monthly plan|
|-Same as the Monthly plan|
Memrise: Best For Quick Vocabulary Boosts
Let’s start with Memrise, a game-changer app when you’re crunched for time. Trust me, the spaced repetition algorithms are so on point. They’ll remind you of words you’re about to forget.
I’ve been using it during coffee breaks, and it’s like having a quick mini-language lesson. But what really gets me is the “Learn with Locals” feature. You get to see real people using the language in everyday situations.
Compared to Duolingo, Memrise leans more into real-world application. It’s less about earning points and more about preparing you for actual conversations. So, if you want to get beyond textbook phrases, Memrise should be on your radar.
Memrise’s Standout Features
- Real-world Video Content: Memrise offers quick video clips featuring native speakers in the wild. You’re not just hearing the language but seeing it in action. Got a few minutes while waiting for your coffee? Perfect time for a mini-lesson.
- Spaced Repetition System: Forget flashcards; Memrise uses a smart algorithm that nudges you to review words at the perfect time. It’s like your own personal language coach who knows when you’re about to forget something.
What Are Users Saying About Memrise?
- Rating: 4.8 stars, 196.2K reviews on the Apple App Store.
- Positive Feedback: People using Memrise can’t stop talking about its unique approach to language learning. One review gushes, “Memrise is really good! It has similar learning styles to other apps. But, it also has audio, and the ‘robots’ saying the words sound very human.”
- Room for Improvement: Some users wish for more. One review points out, “I thought $60 for the year was well priced, but I was surprised I didn’t see the $100 unlimited.”
How Much Does Memrise Cost?
|Monthly||$14.99||-Full access to all languages and lessons|
-30,000 native speaker videos
|-Same as the Monthly plan|
|-Same as the Monthly plan|
LinguaLift: Best For Structured Lessons Anywhere
LinguaLift is your personal tutor in app form. It asks about your learning goals and tailors a study schedule just for you. I’ve found it to be a lifesaver during longer commutes.
You’re not just aimlessly scrolling here. No, you’re actively learning, complete with exercises and quizzes.
What sets LinguaLift apart is its academic rigor. It’s not just about quick fixes. It’s about understanding the language deeply.
You even get feedback from real language tutors. So, if you’re serious about mastering a new foreign language and not just dabbling, LinguaLift is where it’s at.
LinguaLift’s Standout Features
- Language Learning Secrets E-Book: LinguaLift offers a tailored e-book for each language. So, when you’ve got some downtime, just pull out your phone and dive into a chapter.
- Road Map to Fluency: Feeling a bit lost? LinguaLift’s personalized study plan is your roadmap, guiding you on what to focus on next.
What Are Users Saying About LinguaLift?
- Rating: A mere 3.1 stars, but only 104 reviews on Google Play.
- Positive Feedback: Despite the low rating, some users praise it. One review states, “Best program ever. They teach you how to study. The app is clear and concise.”
- Room for Improvement: Technical issues seem to be a common complaint. One review notes, “It works on my Android but not on my iPhone. Maybe a regional problem?”
How Much Does LinguaLift Cost?
|1 Month||$19.99/month||-Full access to lessons|
-Unlimited tutor support
-In-depth cultural explanations
|-Same as 1 Month|
|-Same as 1 Month|
|-Same as 1 Month|
Rosetta Stone: Best For Immersive Learning In Transit
Rosetta Stone is the granddaddy of language learning, and it’s stood the test of time for a reason. The full immersion method is no joke.
What I mean is you’re learning through context, not translation. I’ve found it to be a great way to absorb the basics, especially during longer transits. And that TruAccent? This feature is a gem for nailing the correct pronunciation.
In contrast to LinguaLift’s structured approach, Rosetta Stone throws you into the deep end. It’s learning through doing, which is perfect if you’re the adventurous type.
Rosetta Stone’s Standout Features
- Immersive Method: No tedious grammar lessons here. Rosetta Stone uses images to help you directly associate words with their meanings. It’s quick, it’s intuitive, and it’s effective.
- Audio Companion: Turn your drive time into study time. Download the audio lessons and listen while you’re on the move.
What Are Users Saying About Rosetta Stone?
- Rating: 4.8 stars, 199.2K reviews on Apple App Store.
- Positive Feedback: Users are all about Rosetta Stone’s immersive method. One review says, “When I first visited China, I had finished level 1 Mandarin a few months before the travel, and everyone I met said my accent was good.”
- Room for Improvement: But it’s not perfect. One review suggests, “If I could tell one improvement, bring back the games and make more of them!”
How Much Does Rosetta Stone Cost?
-Complete immersive experience
-Speech recognition technology
|-Same features as the 3-month plan|
|-Includes all features of the other plans|
-Access to all 25 languages
Duolingo: Best For Bite-Sized Lessons Anytime
Duolingo is the app you didn’t know you needed. It’s ideal for those random moments of downtime.
The lessons are short but impactful. I’ve even found myself practicing pronunciation while waiting for my coffee. Duolingo also has this streak feature. It’s a subtle but effective motivator.
Duolingo offers a well-rounded experience. Most language apps focus on vocabulary too much. But with this mobile language learning app, it’s about building skills.
So, if you’re looking for an app that covers all the bases and fits into those random pockets of free time, Duolingo is a solid pick.
Duolingo’s Standout Features
- Duolingo Stories: Think of these as mini-adventures in your target language. They’re quick, they’re fun, and they test your skills in a super engaging way.
- Leaderboards: Want to add a dash of competition to your learning? Duolingo’s leaderboards let you go head-to-head with other learners. It’s a fun way to stay motivated.
What Are Users Saying About Duolingo?
- Rating: 4.7 stars, a whopping 2M reviews on Apple App Store.
- Positive Feedback: Duolingo users are hooked on the app’s game-like lessons. One review states, “Duolingo starts out good, but once you get the basics down, you’ll find yourself translating random sentences that lack everyday context.”
- Room for Improvement: Some users want more practical language use. A review notes, “I’ve made great improvement using another app after more than 225 days of Duolingo that taught me nothing about having basic daily conversations.”
How Much Does Duolingo Cost?
|Free||$0||-Basic language learning (lessons, quizzes, challenges)|
-Review your mistakes
|Yearly||$83.99||-Same features as the Monthly plan|
|Duolingo Family Plan||$119.99||-Monthly features for up to 6 family members|
HelloTalk: Best For Real Conversations, Real Quick
HelloTalk is a whole different app. It’s a social network but for language learning. You’re chatting with native speakers, and they’re correcting you in real-time. I’ve found it to be the closest thing to immersion without hopping on a plane.
What sets HelloTalk apart is its focus on community. You’re not alone here. You’re part of a pack of learners. It’s a fantastic supplement to any other language-learning software you’re using.
HelloTalk’s Standout Features
- Voicerooms: Jump into a Voiceroom and practice speaking with people worldwide. Whether you’re actively participating or just eavesdropping, it’s a fantastic way to improve.
- 1-on-1 Language Lessons: Find a tutor that fits your schedule and book a lesson right in the app. It’s flexible, it’s convenient, and it’s effective.
- Instant Captions: Chatting with a native speaker and stumbled upon a new word? HelloTalk’s instant captions give you the translation right then and there.
What Are Users Saying About HelloTalk?
- Rating: 4.6 stars, 37.1K reviews on Apple App Store.
- Positive Feedback: HelloTalk gets a lot of love for its social media-like environment. One review says, “It’s actually a form of social media for people who want to learn languages!”
- Room for Improvement: But there’s room to grow. A review mentions, “People will let small mistakes slip through and give learners a pass even though what they say is incorrect.”
How Much Does HelloTalk Cost?
|Free||$0||-Limited messaging with native speakers|
-No voice or video calls
-Basic translation and correction tools
-Limited learning materials
|Monthly||$6.99||-Unlimited messaging with native speakers|
-Voice and video calls
-Language exchange option
-Translation and correction tools
(billed annually for two years)
|-Same as the monthly plan|
|-Lifetime access to all features of HelloTalk|
How Do Mobile Language Learning Apps Make You Fluent?
You might be scratching your head, thinking, “Can a language app really make me fluent?” The short answer is yes, but there’s a catch.
These best mobile language learning apps give you the tools, but you’ve got to do the work. It’s like having a gym membership; the equipment’s there, but you’ve got to lift the weights.
Consistency is your best friend here. The more you engage with the app, the quicker you’ll see results.
Now, if you’re looking for an app that truly stands out, let me tell you, you can’t go wrong with the Ling app. It’s not just another language-learning app. It’s your go-to platform for mastering 60+ languages.
What sets it apart? The Ling app offers a unique blend of lessons that are both practical and fun. Plus, we have daily language articles that dive deep into grammar lessons and cultural insights for each language you’re interested in.