You want to speak a new language, right? Well, you’re onto something. Research shows that bilingual or multilingual people can earn 5%-20% more per hour. It’s not just a cool skill; it pays off.
Another good thing is I looked through many apps to find the best language apps with speaking exercises that really help with your talking skills. No fancy jargon, just apps that help you talk better.
So, what’s coming up? I’ll go through each app and tell you what’s special about it for speaking. This is your guide to finding apps that help you talk well in a new language.
Take a quick look at the apps we’ll discuss. After that, we’ll dive into each one. Trust me, you’ll want to read on.
|App||Best For||Starting Price|
|MosaLingua||Best for Phrase-Based Speaking||$9.49/month|
|Babbel||Best for Conversational Speaking||$13.95/month|
|Rocket Languages||Best for Pronunciation Accuracy||$27.00/month|
|Pimsleur||Best for Audio-Interactive Speaking||$19.95/month|
|Busuu||Best for Speech Recognition||$13.95/month|
|The Ling App||Best for Gamified Speaking Practice||$8.99/month|
MosaLingua: Best For Phrase-Based Speaking
First up is MosaLingua, and let me tell you, this app is a lifesaver for real-world scenarios. The “Speak Easy” feature is what got me hooked.
It offers a list of phrases for situations you’ll actually find yourself in, like asking for directions or ordering food. Each phrase is paired with native audio and cultural tips, so you’re not just learning to speak. You’re learning to communicate effectively.
The spaced repetition system is another strong suit. It’s like the app has a sixth sense. It knows which phrases you’re struggling with and nudges you to review them at the perfect time. Compared to other apps focusing on vocabulary, MosaLingua helps you speak like a local.
MosaLingua’s Standout Features
- Flashcard System: The Spaced Repetition System (SRS) isn’t just a fancy term. It’s a method that helps you remember words and phrases. This is key for effective communication, especially when you’re trying to speak fluently.
- Dialogue Lessons: These aren’t just random phrases. They’re conversations you’ll have, making your speaking practice more realistic.
- Customizable Learning: The app lets you set your own learning goals. So, if speaking is your jam, the app adjusts the lessons to focus more on that.
What Are Users Saying About MosaLingua?
- Rating: 4.3 stars based on 29.9K reviews.
- Positive Feedback: Users find MosaLingua a reliable companion for learning English. One user mentioned, “This app is my English learning companion. So, to get more of it, I learned five new words or expressions daily. Yes. Consistency is the key.”
- Room for Improvement: Some users wish for more level-specific support. One review said, “My level improved, but it could do more for different stages.”
How Much Does MosaLingua Cost?
|Free Trial||$0||-Limited access to language learning resources|
|Monthly Subscription (Via App Stores)||$9.49/month||-Full access to all resources (videos, audiobooks, books, articles)|
-iOS and Android
|Yearly Subscription (Via Website)||$59.90/year|
|-Same as the Monthly plan|
-Web, iOS, and Android
Babbel: Best For Conversational Speaking
Next, we have Babbel, and if MosaLingua is about phrases, Babbel is all about conversations. The app offers dialogues that mimic real conversations crafted by language experts.
These aren’t just random chats. They focus on valuable topics like making reservations or discussing hobbies. I found this approach incredibly useful for building language skills.
But what sets Babbel apart from MosaLingua is its speech recognition. It listens to how you say things, not just what you say. You get a score and tips on how to improve, making your speaking more natural over time.
Babbel’s Standout Features
- Speech Recognition: Babbel’s speech recognition isn’t just some add-on. It’s a core feature. It ensures you’re pronouncing words correctly. This is a big deal when you’re learning to speak a new language.
- Real-Life Situations: The lessons are built around situations you’ll find yourself in. So, those speaking exercises? They’re as practical as they come.
- Review Feature: The app has this cool review feature that lets you revisit past lessons. It’s a great way to make sure those speaking skills are sticking.
What Are Users Saying About Babbel?
- Rating: 4.6 stars based on 909K reviews.
- Positive Feedback: Many users appreciate Babbel’s feature-rich platform. One review said, “I like this much better than Duolingo. Much more feature rich.”
- Room for Improvement: Some users find the app a bit rigid, with one mentioning, “I needed to quickly learn conversational Spanish. But the app force-feeds you information about how letters are pronounced, etc.”
How Much Does Babbel Cost?
|Free||$0||-Access to the first lesson in every course|
|1 Month||$13.95||-Full access to all lessons in one language|
|-Same as 1 Month|
|-Same as 1 Month|
|-Full access to all lessons for ALL languages forever|
Rocket Languages: Best For Pronunciation Accuracy
Rocket Languages is a bit different. While Babbel and MosaLingua focus on phrases and conversations, Rocket Languages focuses on pronunciation.
The “Rocket Record” feature listens to you and compares your speech to native speakers. You get instant, useful feedback, which is helpful for anyone looking to perfect their pronunciation.
The role-playing exercises add another layer to your practice. These aren’t just repeat-after-me exercises. They’re interactive scenarios that place you in real-life situations.
With it, you’ll find yourself better prepared for actual conversations. This is something I wish more language apps with speaking exercises would incorporate.
Rocket Languages’ Standout Features
- Voice Comparison: This tool lets you record yourself and compare it to a native speaker. It’s a fantastic way to get your accent and pronunciation just right.
- Interactive Audio Lessons: These aren’t your run-of-the-mill lessons. You listen to a dialogue and then get to be a part of it, which is a whole new level of speaking practice.
- Language & Culture Lessons: Knowing the culture behind your target language can make speaking more natural. It’s a subtle touch, but it makes a world of difference.
What Are Users Saying About Rocket Languages?
- Rating: 4.6 stars based on 1.83K reviews.
- Positive Feedback: Users appreciate Rocket Languages for its comprehensive approach. One user said, “The text explanations feel more like a school lesson than a game, which I like.”
- Room for Improvement: A review mentioned, “In addition to issues with the app loading, the audio playback of terms plays at a huge delay. Sometimes several minutes later, the voice recognition is awful regardless of what device I’m on.”
How Much Does Rocket Languages Cost?
|Level 1 (Common Languages)||$149.95|
($27/month for 6 months)
-Language and Culture Lessons
|Levels 1-2 (Common Languages)||$299.90||-All features of Level 1 plus additional modules|
|Levels 1-3 (Common Languages)||$449.85|
($75/month for 6 months)
|-All features of Levels 1 and 2 plus even more modules|
|Level 1 (Less Popular Languages)||$149.95|
($27/month for 6 months)
|-Same features as Common Languages Level 1|
|English Sign Language (ASL)||$99.95|
($20/month for 6 months)
|-Same features as Common Languages Level 1|
Pimsleur: Best For Audio-Interactive Speaking
Pimsleur takes a different approach. It’s audio-focused, so you can learn while doing other things.
The call-and-response method helps you nail down pronunciation and intonation. Yes, just like Rocket Languages, but in a more passive way.
What caught my eye were the “Digital Flashcards.” They’re not just for vocabulary. They help you practice phrases and sentences.
The “Speed Round” even pushes you to respond quickly, making your learning more dynamic. It’s a feature that makes Pimsleur stand out from the rest.
Pimsleur’s Standout Features
- Voice Coach: This feature gives you feedback on how you’re doing, which is invaluable for speaking practice.
- Speak Easy Challenge: This is more than just role-play. It’s an interactive way to practice speaking with written transcripts to guide you.
- Speed Round Game: This fast-paced game tests your conversational skills. It’s a fun and engaging way to improve your speaking.
What Are Users Saying About Pimsleur?
- Rating: 4.4 stars based on 9.5K reviews.
- Positive Feedback: Users find Pimsleur effective for conversational practice. A review mentioned, “This gives me much more confidence that I can hold a basic conversation in French, compared to other apps I tried.”
- Room for Improvement: A review noted limited customization in phrase practice. One user stated, “When you study General Phrases, you can’t avoid practicing preset phrases.”
How Much Does Pimsleur Cost?
|7 Days Free Trial||$0||-Limited access to all language courses|
|Monthly||$19.95 (one language)|
$20.95 (all languages)
|-Full access to one/all language course|
|Yearly||$164.95 (all languages)||-Full access to all language courses for one year|
Busuu: Best For Speech Recognition
Busuu offers something unique: personalized study plans tailored to your goals. The “Conversations” feature lets you practice with a chatbot, so you’re never without a practice partner. It’s a convenient way to practice speaking whenever you want.
What impressed me about Busuu is its advanced speech recognition. It listens to full sentences, not just words.
You get feedback on how natural you sound, which is crucial for real conversations. This is a step up from Babbel’s speech recognition, offering a more comprehensive analysis of your speaking skills.
Busuu’s Standout Features
- Interactive Community: Busuu takes it up a notch with a global community where you can practice speaking and even pick up some local slang.
- Lessons Featuring Real People: The video flashcards feature real people, making your learning experience feel more like a conversation than a class.
- Self-Led Learning: You’re in control here. If speaking is your focus, the app lets you zero in on that.
What Are Users Saying About Busuu?
- Rating: 4.7 stars based on 589K reviews.
- Positive Feedback: People love Busuu for its interactive lessons and real-world scenarios. A review mentioned, “The dialogues feel so real. It’s like I’m already traveling!”
- Room for Improvement: A review said, “The speaking exercises are good but could be more challenging. Sometimes, it feels like I’m not pushed enough.”
How Much Does Busuu Cost?
|Free||$0||-Basic language learning features|
|Monthly||$13.95||-Full access to all courses|
|-Same as Monthly|
|-Same as Monthly|
The Ling App: Best For Gamified Speaking Practice
Last but not least, we have the Ling app. If you learn best through games, this free language-learning app is for you.
The “Match It” game helps you learn and practice saying phrases. It’s interactive and engaging, a different approach than the other apps’ more traditional methods.
The “Listen and Repeat” feature is another winner. These are interactive stories that help you practice pronunciation and context.
You’ll find yourself more engaged and more likely to remember what you’ve learned. Definitely, this makes it a strong contender in this roundup.
The Ling App’s Standout Features
- Chatbot Conversations: The Ling app offers a chatbot with which you can actually converse. It’s a step beyond just repeating phrases and adds a dynamic element to your speaking practice.
- Mini-Games for Speaking: These games are designed to improve your speaking and listening skills. They’re fun but also really educational.
- Daily Challenges: These are designed to keep you on your toes. The challenges offer a mix of exercises, including speaking tasks, to help you get better every day.
What Are Users Saying About The Ling App?
- Rating: 4.3 stars based on 10.1K reviews.
- Positive Feedback: Language learners are quite fond of the Ling app’s organized lessons and focus on conversational practice. One review praises the app, saying, “The lessons are short, and the conversational aspect is a game-changer. It allows you to hear the foreign language as it’s spoken and mimic the tone and pace.”
- Room for Improvement: Some users have mentioned minor issues with the speaking exercises. One review delicately states, “The speaking exercises are generally good, but there’s room for fine-tuning to make them even better.”
How Much Does The Ling App Cost?
-200 lessons in 50 units
-Access to 60+ languages
-Sync across all your devices
-Talk with the chatbot about 20 topics
-Grammar tips in many languages
|Yearly||$79.99 ($6.67/month)||-Same as the Monthly plan|
|Lifetime||$149.99 (one-time payment)||-Same as the Monthly plan|
How Do Language Apps With Speaking Exercises Make You Fluent?
Now, you’re probably wondering, “How do these language apps with speaking exercises actually make me fluent?”
Well, it’s simple.
Speaking exercises in these best language learning apps mimic real-life conversations. They push you to think on your feet, just like you would in an actual chat with a native speaker.
This active engagement with the language helps you internalize its structure and vocabulary. The result? You guessed it: making you more fluent over time.
But hey, if you’re looking for an app that nails this, you must try the Ling app. Unlike other apps focusing solely on reading or listening, the Ling app offers a balanced approach with a strong emphasis on speaking exercises.
So, get speaking, get fluent, and get the Ling app from Google Play and App Store. And while you’re at it, don’t forget to check out our daily language articles for more grammar lessons and cultural insights. See you there!