Finding the right language-learning app is like searching for a needle in a haystack. But for visual learners like you and me, the search gets even trickier.
We need more than just words. We crave visuals that make learning stick. We need the best language apps for visual learners.
So, I dug deep into the app world. Good news! I found some gems perfect for our visual minds. These best language-learning apps light up our learning path with vibrant images and interactive features.
Before we dive into each app’s details, let’s start with a handy comparison table to give you a quick overview.
|App||Best For||Starting Price per Month|
|Drops||Building Vocabulary Through Engaging Visuals||$13|
|BrainPOP ELL||Learning Through Engaging Visual Imagery||$9.99|
|Speechify||Listening to Texts with a Clear Visual Interface||$11.58|
|Lingvist||Learning Through Flashcards with Visual Cues||$4.99|
|Lingokids||Children’s Language Learning with Fun Visuals||$14.99|
|The Ling App||Language Practice Through Games||$8.99|
Drops: Best For Vocabulary Building Through Visuals
First is Drops, an app that teaches vocabulary in a fun, interactive way. Each word is represented by a vibrant, minimalist illustration, making it easier to remember. And to ensure you’re pronouncing everything correctly, they’ve got professional voice actors on board.
With a wide range of topics and over 45 languages, Drops is an excellent choice for visual learners wanting to boost their vocabulary. Check out our comprehensive Drops review for a more detailed look at this app.
Drops’ Standout Features
- Micro-Learning Sessions: Drops keeps things short and sweet. Each learning session is just five minutes, helping you stay focused and engaged.
- Gamified Learning: Drops makes learning feel like playtime. There are games for matching, spelling, swiping, and tapping, each designed to cater to a specific learning style. And to keep you motivated, you get instant feedback and rewards.
- Scripts: This is where Drops stands out. Scripts allows visual learners to learn reading and writing in different scripts and alphabets. It’s a great tool if you’re learning languages that use non-Latin scripts.
What Are Users Saying About Drops?
Drops has a 4.5-star rating on Google Play, based on over 264K reviews. Users love its design, easy-to-use interface, and wide selection of languages.
Some users also like offline access and listening tests. But some wish the free version had fewer time restrictions and more grammar lessons.
How Much Does Drops Cost?
|Free||$0||-Access to one topic per day for five minutes|
|Monthly||$13/month||-Unlimited access to all languages and topics|
-7-day free trial
|Yearly||$69.99/year ($5.83/month)||-Same as monthly|
|Lifetime||$159.99 (one-time payment)||-Same as yearly|
BrainPOP ELL: Best For Engaging Visual Imagery
Next on the list is BrainPOP ELL. This web-based app uses animated videos, interactive quizzes, and games to teach English.
The program follows the adventures of Ben, a boy from London, and Moby, his robot friend. As they explore different topics and situations, learners are exposed to visual imagery, humor, and repetition, helping them acquire new vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation.
BrainPOP ELL’s Standout Features
- Leveled Learning: With three levels (beginner, intermediate, and advanced) and five units, each containing four lessons, BrainPOP ELL covers diverse themes like family, school, hobbies, culture, and science.
- Interactive Quizzes: A visual learner can take quizzes for immediate feedback and explanations after a video lesson, helping them grasp concepts better.
- Games and Activities: Learning becomes enjoyable with word games, crossword puzzles, matching games, and even karaoke singing.
What Are Users Saying About BrainPOP ELL?
BrainPOP ELL holds a solid 4.0-star rating on Google Play, based on 1.43K reviews. Users praise the engaging videos, clear explanations, and helpful feedback.
They love the variety of topics and levels. However, some have pointed out the high subscription cost, technical issues, and limited content.
How Much Does BrainPOP ELL Cost?
|Free Trial||$0||-Access to one video lesson per level per day|
|Individual Plan||$9.99/month or $99/year||-Full access for one user|
|Family Plan||$19.99/month or $199/year||-Full access for up to three users|
|Classroom Plan||$175/year||-Full access for up to 35 users|
|School Plan||Contact BrainPOP for a quote||-Full access for multiple users|
Speechify: Best For Auditory Learning With A Clear Visual Interface
Let’s move on to Speechify. It’s an app that turns text into audio. It’s perfect for people with dyslexia, auditory learners, or anyone who’d rather listen to their reading materials.
Speechify can handle books, articles, emails, PDFs, and images. You can listen on any device, at any speed, and in any language.
Plus, it can translate text into over 30 languages and even create voice-over recordings for videos and podcasts. Interested in learning more? Check out our complete Speechify review.
Speechify’s Standout Features
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR): Speechify lets you snap a picture of any printed text and listen to it instantly. It’s a real game-changer for people with dyslexia or visual impairments.
- Inbox Zero: Speechify can read your emails aloud. It’s a great way to manage your inbox while doing other tasks. You can even reply using speech-to-text or voice commands.
- Instant Translation: Speechify can translate any text into over 30 languages and read it aloud with native accents. It’s a handy tool for learning a new language or accessing content from different sources.
What Are Users Saying About Speechify?
Speechify has a 4.4-star rating on Google Play, based on over 105K reviews. Users appreciate the high-quality voices and easy-to-use interface.
They find the features helpful and say the app makes reading easier and more enjoyable. Some users also mention that Speechify helps them multitask and improve their pronunciation and vocabulary.
How Much Does Speechify Cost?
|Free||$0||-Access to 10 standard reading voices|
-Speeds up to 1x
-Basic text-to-speech features
|Premium Plan||$11.58/month (billed annually)||-Access to 30+ high-quality natural reading voices|
-20+ different languages
-Speeds up to 5x
-Advanced skipping and importing
Lingvist: Best For Learning Through Flashcards With Visual Cues
Now for Lingvist, the language learning platform that takes flashcards to the next level. It combines science and technology to make your learning journey quicker and more effective.
Lingvist presents words and sentences in real-life contexts, complete with visual cues, to enhance memory retention. And with speech recognition technology, you can even practice speaking skills and perfect pronunciation.
Lingvist’s Standout Features
- Adaptive Learning Algorithm: Lingvist’s spaced repetition algorithm adjusts to your pace and progress, ensuring you see the right flashcards at the right time based on your performance and memory strength.
- Real-World Contexts: Lingvist’s flashcards use sentences from authentic sources. This exposes you to diverse accents and dialects and helps you understand how language is used in various situations.
- Personalized Feedback: Instant feedback on your answers, along with detailed explanations for each word and grammar point, keeps you on track. Track your progress with statistics to see your growth and plan your goals.
What Are Users Saying About Lingvist?
Lingvist has an impressive 4.3-star rating on Google Play from over 58.3K reviews. Users love Lingvist’s customizable decks and text import feature.
However, some have noted limited words for certain languages, a lack of grammar exercises, and occasional bugs. Nonetheless, Lingvist remains a powerful language-learning tool worth exploring.
How Much Does Lingvist Cost?
|Free||$0||-Learn up to 3,000 words in any language|
-Access basic features like pronunciation, voice recognition, and progress tracking
-Use one custom deck per language
-Multiple custom decks per language
Lingokids: Best For Young Children With Fun Visuals
Our roundup is not complete without Lingokids, a fun-filled Playlearning™ app. It’s crafted for kids aged 2 to 8, making learning English and other language skills a blast.
Lingokids cleverly combines original content and material from Oxford University Press to create a diverse curriculum. This covers everything from school subjects to life skills.
Their ‘not so’ secret? Games, videos, songs, and stories that keep kids engaged and entertained. For a deeper dive, don’t miss our comprehensive Lingokids review.
Lingokids’ Standout Features
- Adaptive Learning: Lingokids adapts to each child, providing personalized feedback and guidance. This means kids can learn at their speed and follow what interests them.
- Offline Mode: Lingokids works offline, making it perfect for travel or when the Wi-Fi’s down.
- Parent Area: Lingokids has a dedicated area where parents can keep track of their child’s progress, set goals, tweak settings, and access extra resources. Plus, parents can join the Lingokids community and connect with families worldwide.
What Are Users Saying About Lingokids?
Lingokids has earned a 4.2-star rating on Google Play, with over 168K reviews. Users give it a thumbs up for its quality, variety, and effectiveness.
Parents report their kids are picking up new words every day and having a blast with the games and songs. They also love the wide range of activities and topics that keep learning fresh and fun.
How Much Does Lingokids Cost?
|Free||$0||-Up to three activities per day|
-One profile per family
-Access to the parent area and the community
|Monthly Premium||$14.99/month||-Unlimited access to all content and features|
-Up to four profiles per family
-Weekly progress reports
-7-day free trial
|Yearly Premium||$89.99/year||-Same as monthly|
|Lifetime Premium||$199.99 (one-time payment)||-All premium features for a lifetime|
The Ling App: Best For Language Practice Through Games
Time to meet the Ling app, one of the best language apps for visual learners, which offers courses in over 60 languages. For visual language learners, it’s a dream come true, as it adopts a gamified approach to make learning both enjoyable and engaging.
Through captivating images, animations, and interactive games, the Ling app helps you remember words and phrases effortlessly. You can also practice pronunciation with a chatbot and receive instant feedback on your performance.
If you want an in-depth look at the Ling app, be sure to read our unbiased Ling app review.
The Ling App’s Standout Features
- Gamified Visual Learning: The Ling app incorporates exciting games and quizzes that adapt to your level and learning objectives. This ensures a delightful and motivating experience.
- Native Speaker Audio: Improve your listening and pronunciation skills with audio recordings from authentic native speakers. You even have the option to record your voice and compare it with the native speaker’s.
- Grammar Notes: The Ling app provides clear and concise grammar explanations for each lesson. This allows you to grasp the rules and patterns of different languages. You can revisit these notes at any time within the app.
What Are Users Saying About The Ling App?
The Ling app has earned a remarkable 4.2-star rating on Google Play, backed by nearly 10K reviews. Users have commended the app for its fun and effective language-teaching methods.
They also appreciate its extensive range of languages and topics, the use of native speaker audio, its user-friendly interface, and the valuable feedback it provides. One user recently said that the Ling app proves to be an excellent companion for beginners.
How Much Does The Ling App Cost?
|Basic||$0||-Access to all languages|
|Monthly||$8.99 per month||-Access to all languages|
-200 lessons in 50 units
-Sync across all devices
-Talk with the chatbot about 20 topics
-Grammar tips in many languages
|Yearly||$6.67 per month ($79.99 billed annually)||-Access to all languages|
-All features of the monthly plan for one year
|Lifetime||$149.99 (one-time payment)||-Access to all languages|
-All features of the monthly plan for a lifetime
Which Language Apps For Visual Learners Should You Pick?
So, we’ve looked at some top-notch language apps for visual learners. Each one has its strengths, but there’s one that stands out from the crowd: the Ling app.
Why is Ling the best language-learning app? Well, it’s not just about learning languages. It’s about making the process enjoyable and engaging.
The Ling app is like a playground where you can explore 60+ languages through games and interactive activities. It’s a space where you can practice at your own pace, get instant feedback, and see your progress.
But it doesn’t stop at the app alone. It extends to daily language articles that offer a deeper dive into vocabulary and cultural insights.