Learning a new language? I’ve been there. It’s a thrilling ride filled with new sounds, words, and cultures.
But it’s not always easy, I know.
That’s where apps for immersive language learning come in to help us. They’ve been my trusty guides, turning complex grammar and vocabulary into engaging, interactive experiences.
So, if you’re ready to learn a new language, I’ve got just the thing for you. Below, you’ll find a comparison table of the top 6 best apps for immersive language learning. Let’s take a look!
|App||Best For||Starting Price|
|Babbel||Structured Immersive Learning||$13.95/month|
|Rosetta Stone||Complete Language Immersion||$11.99/month|
|Duolingo||Gamified Immersive Learning||$6.99/month|
|Busuu||Personalized Immersive Goals||$13.95/month|
|Mondly||Visual & Auditory Immersive Aids||$9.99/month|
|The Ling App||Interactive Immersive Practice for 60+ Languages||$8.99/month|
Babbel: Best For Structured Immersive Learning
First, let me introduce you to Babbel, your go-to app for learning new languages. With 14 languages on offer, Babbel crafts lessons just for you, based on your level and native language.
You’ll find it really helpful to learn how to speak a language in real-life situations. You’ll even pick up some cool cultural insights about the countries where the language is spoken.
What you’ll love about Babbel is how it teaches. It’s not just throwing words at you. It’s based on the latest research in language learning. Babbel will help you learn naturally, focusing on real conversations and adapting to your learning style and pace.
And it’s not just an app. There are podcasts, videos, and more. If you want to know more about it, you can read our comprehensive Babbel review.
Babbel’s Standout Features
- Review Feature: Ever forget what you learned? Babbel’s got your back with quizzes and games. It’s like a fun pop quiz.
- Live Online Classes: Real teachers, real classes, right on your device. You can chat with other language learners. It’s like being in school but fun.
What Are Users Saying About Babbel?
Babbel has received positive feedback from users. It earned a 4.6-star rating on Google Play based on over 900K reviews. Here’s a summary:
- Positive Feedback: Users appreciate the organized structure, sequence of lessons, and helpful tips and reviews.
- Room for Improvement: Some users have pointed out issues with voice recognition and app crashes. Few have suggested visual improvements to the app’s design.
How Much Does Babbel Cost?
|Free||$0||-Access to the first lesson in every course|
|1 Month||$13.95||-Full access to all lessons in one language|
|3 Months||$9.95/month||-Same as 1 Month|
|12 Months||$6.95/month||-Same as 1 Month|
|Lifetime||$299.99 (one-time payment)||-Full access to all lessons for ALL languages for life|
Rosetta Stone: Best For Complete Language Immersion
Next up is Rosetta Stone, an app that’s been a trusted companion in diving deep into new languages. It has been around for 31 years now, helping learners learn 25 languages, and uses a method called Dynamic Immersion®.
Forget about translation or memorization. You learn by connecting words, images, and sounds in real-life scenarios. It’s like learning a language the way a child does, naturally and intuitively.
Plus, there are live tutoring sessions, stories, and a phrasebook for common expressions. Want to know more? Check out our complete Rosetta Stone review.
Rosetta Stone’s Standout Features
- TruAccent® Speech Recognition Engine: Practice pronunciation and get instant feedback. Adjust sensitivity and compare your voice to native speakers.
- Seek & Speak: Turn your phone camera into a language tool. Scan objects and get conversation challenges. Available for iOS in select languages.
What Are Users Saying About Rosetta Stone?
Rosetta Stone has received mostly positive reviews from users who have tried it. With a 4.7-star rating and 365K reviews on Google Play, here’s the lowdown:
- Positive Feedback: Users love the immersion method, the pronunciation help, and the fun challenges.
- Room for Improvement: Some find it a bit overwhelming at first, and there are small gripes about picture size and translation options.
How Much Does Rosetta Stone Cost?
|3 Months||$11.99||-Bite-sized lessons|
-Fully immersive environment
-Speech recognition technology
|12 Months||$9.99||-Same as 3 Months|
|Lifetime||$299 (one-time payment)||-Unlimited access to all 25 languages|
-All the features of the other plans for life
Duolingo: Best For Gamified Immersive Learning
Now let’s talk about Duolingo, a language app that’s turned learning into a game. It’s free, fun, and engaging, using a mix of research-backed methods and delightful content.
With Duolingo, you can learn all the necessary language skills through enjoyable content. There are even podcasts, stories, and events to help you get into the culture of the language you’re learning.
What’s great about Duolingo is its exercises that challenge you to use the new foreign language in different ways. And there’s Duo the Owl, a friendly mascot that keeps you on track with fun challenges and reminders.
Duolingo’s Standout Features
- Placement Test: Start where you’re comfortable. Duolingo lets you take a test to find your level. Skip the too-easy lessons and progress at your speed.
- Immersion Exercises: Get into the new language with clever dialogues, conversations, and reading exercises. You’ll build strong connections without relying on translations.
What Are Users Saying About Duolingo?
Sadly, some Duolingo users aren’t too happy. It has an average rating of 1.6 stars on Trustpilot from 3.3K reviews. Here’s what users have to say:
- Positive Feedback: Users love Duolingo for making learning fun. They like how it’s easy to use, and the game-like features help them learn daily.
- Room for Improvement: Some users are unhappy with recent app changes. They’ve mentioned customer service problems, mistakes in some lessons, and unnatural voices in listening exercises.
How Much Does Duolingo Cost?
|Free||Free||-Basic language learning features (lessons, quizzes, and challenges)|
-Ability to review your mistakes
-Access to exclusive content
|Yearly||$83.99||-Same as Monthly|
|Duolingo Family Plan||$119.99||-Same as Monthly for up to 6 family members|
Busuu: Best For Personalized Immersive Goals
Busuu is like a personal language coach that knows exactly what you need. It’s not just about learning words and grammar. It’s about speaking and writing like a native.
Busuu takes you from being a complete beginner to fully conversational. While the lessons might remind you of other language apps for immersive language learning, Busuu has a unique social twist.
You can submit speaking or writing exercises, and native speakers will correct them for you. It’s engaging, helpful, and feels like you’re part of a language-learning community. Intrigued by its amazing features? Check out our detailed Busuu review to find out more.
Busuu’s Standout Features
- Personalized Study Plans: Busuu fits into your schedule. Got 10 minutes or an hour? Busuu makes sure you’re learning all the time.
- Certified Courses: Busuu’s courses are more than just effective; they’re certified. You can even earn a McGraw-Hill Education language certificate.
What Are Users Saying About Busuu?
Busuu has received excellent reviews from users on various platforms. On Trustpilot, Busuu rates a 4.4 based on 15K reviews. On Google Play, it has a rating of 4.6 from 576K reviews. Let’s see what they said:
- Positive Feedback: Users are delighted with the app interface and efficiency. They also appreciate the tech support, which is friendly and helpful.
- Room for Improvement: Some users complained about translations and the user interface. There have been reports of lags, breakdowns, and a lack of precision in translations.
How Much Does Busuu Cost?
|Free||Free||-Basic language learning features|
|Monthly||$13.95||-Full access to all courses|
|6 Months||$50.70||-Same as Monthly|
|12 Months||$83.40||-Same as Monthly|
Mondly: Best For Visual & Auditory Immersive Aids
Mondly is all about learning by doing. Instead of translating phrases from your native language, you begin to think in the language you want to learn. It’s a hands-on approach that helps you discover rules by looking at examples.
For visual learners out there, Mondly’s augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) apps will blow your mind. They use chatbots and speech recognition to simulate real-life conversations.
Does Mondly sound like it could be a good fit for you? Then don’t hesitate to read our Mondly review to learn more.
Mondly’s Standout Features
- Crystal-Clear Audio and Professional Voice Actors: You’ll hear authentic conversations recorded by native speakers. It’s a great way to master pronunciation.
- Broad Language Selection: With 41 languages to choose from, you’re spoiled for choice. Whether you’re a beginner or a polyglot, there’s something for you.
What Are Users Saying About Mondly?
Mondly’s reviews are a mixed bag. It has a 3.7-star rating from 348 reviews on Trustpilot and a 4.5-star rating from 793K reviews on Google Play. Here’s what I found out:
- Positive Feedback: Users appreciate the hands-free practice option and the authentic conversations recorded by native speakers.
- Room for Improvement: Some folks find the lack of grammar rules confusing. Others wish they could focus more on alphabets and characters for certain languages. And watch out for that automatic renewal; some users had a tough time with it.
How Much Does Mondly Cost?
|Free||$0 (one language)||-Daily lessons|
-Entire Hello category
|Monthly||$9.99 (one language)||-Same as Free|
-Unlimited language practice
|Yearly||$47.99 (one language)||-Same as Monthly|
-Access to new languages as they are released
|Lifetime||$89.99 (all languages)||-Same as Monthly for life|
The Ling App: Best For Interactive Immersive Practice For 60+ Languages
Time to meet the Ling app, the best language learning app focused on interactive practice. Short lessons, engaging activities, and real-world conversations make the Ling app special.
If you only have 10 minutes, that’s fine! The Ling app’s quick lessons can fit into your busy day. With various games and exercises, boredom won’t be a problem.
The Ling app also offers a “Conversations” feature that allows you to chat with a chatbot. This provides immediate feedback on pronunciation and fluency. It’s a handy way to converse and get the help you need to improve.
If you want to dig deeper into what makes the Ling app so special, feel free to check out our unbiased Ling app review. It’s all there for you to explore and see why it might be the perfect fit for your language-learning journey.
The Ling App’s Standout Features
- Interactive Exercises: Start a conversation with the Ling app’s chatbot. It’s a fun way to get better at talking in a new language.
- Engaging Activities: Play games and take quizzes. You can see how much you’re learning and have fun at the same time.
- A mix of Languages: The Ling app lets you learn over 60 languages. You can hear real people who speak the language. It helps you understand the right way to pronounce it.
- Proven Results: The Ling app works fast. The people who make it know a lot about languages. They make sure the app helps you learn the best way.
What Are Users Saying About The Ling App?
The Ling app has received glowing reviews from users across different platforms. On Trustpilot, it’s a perfect 5 stars from 25 reviews.
Google Play shows a rating of 4.2 stars from 10K reviews, and on the App Store, it’s 4.7 stars from 4.5K reviews. Here’s what they said:
- Positive Feedback: Users love the Ling app for its ease of use and well-structured lessons. They appreciate the mix of reading, writing, and speaking exercises that provide a solid foundation in the language. Users also enjoy the speaking feature, especially those who are shy to start speaking.
- Room for Improvement: Some users recommend supplementing the app with regular listening to the target language outside of it.
How Much Does The Ling App Cost?
|Basic||$0||-Access to all 60+ languages|
|Monthly||$8.99||-Same as Basic|
-200 lessons in 50 units
-Sync across all devices
-Talk with the chatbot about 20 topics
-Grammar tips in many languages
|Yearly||$6.67/month ($79.99 billed annually)||-Same as Monthly|
|Lifetime||$149.99 (one-time payment)||-Same as Monthly for life|
Which Of These Apps For Immersive Language Learning Will You Choose?
We’ve explored some of the best apps for immersive language learning, each with its unique features and methodologies. But if you’re looking for an app that combines interactive exercises, engaging activities, a mix of over 60 foreign languages, and proven results, the Ling app might be the one for you.
The Ling app is not just about learning a language. It’s about making the process fun and effective. Whether you’re shy about speaking or want to dive into reading and writing, Ling has something for everyone.
But that’s not all. Along with the Ling app, we also offer daily language articles that provide more vocabulary and cultural insights for each language. It’s a complete package that supports your language-learning journey from all angles.