Teaching a language is a bit like being a tour guide, but instead of cities or museums, you’re guiding your students through the intricate maze of a new language. And in this journey, having the right language-learning app can make all the difference.
That’s where apps for language teachers come into play. They’re not just for those eager beavers trying to learn a new language in their spare time. No, they’re for you, the language teachers on the front lines, helping students decipher new words, phrases, and grammatical structures.
We’ve done the groundwork, filtered the app stores, read the reviews, and tested the features to bring you a roundup of the top six language learning apps that can turbocharge your teaching.
Here’s a quick snapshot to get you started:
|App||Best For||Starting Price|
|Preply||Connecting with Students Globally||Tutors set their own rates, ranging from $1 to $100|
|Beelinguapp||Improving Students’ Reading Skills||$1.99/month|
|Tandem||Providing Real-World Practice for Students||$13.99/month|
|iTalki||Teaching Less Common Languages||Tutors set their own rates, ranging from $4 to $80 per hour|
|Sanako Connect||Offering Comprehensive Language Exercises||Starts from 15 concurrent users|
|The Ling App||Making Learning Interactive and Fun||$8.99/month|
Preply: Best For Expanding Reach
First up, we’ve got Preply. It’s an online platform that’s all about connecting language learners with tutors worldwide.
For language teachers like you, this means you can reach students from different cultures. Here’s a quick rundown:
- You set your own rates and schedules.
- Access to a huge pool of potential students worldwide.
- A user-friendly platform with cool features like a built-in calendar, messaging system, and payment processing.
- The chance to grow your tutoring business and earn some dough by sharing your expertise.
Want the full scoop on Preply? Don’t miss our detailed Preply review.
Preply’s Standout Features
- Preply Classroom: This is Preply’s own communication tool. It’s got everything you need for effective lessons, including messaging, file sharing, screen sharing, and a whiteboard.
- Personalized Learning Plans: With Preply, you can create customized lesson plans based on the student’s needs and goals. It’s all about conversations from day one.
What Are Users Saying About Preply?
Preply is a hit with users. It’s rated 4.6 stars on Google Play based on over 14K reviews. Users love the user-friendly interface, the wide range of tutors, the top-notch customer support, and the flexibility.
Plus, they think it’s good value for money. Many users even reported a big boost in their language skills after using Preply. That’s impressive!
How Much Does Preply Cost?
Preply keeps it simple and flexible. The app is free, and students can create free accounts to connect with teachers and tutors worldwide.
As a tutor on Preply, you set your own hourly rates. This can be anywhere between $1 and $100 or even more per hour. It all depends on your experience, education, and other factors. On average, though, you’re looking at around $15 per hour.
Beelinguapp: Best For Reading Skills
Next in line is Beelinguapp, a language-learning app that’s a champ at boosting reading skills. This language app offers a variety of reading materials in the target language.
Beelinguapp uses the neuroscience of language acquisition and the parallel texts method. So, students can soak up languages naturally by reading and listening to audiobooks, news, and songs.
As a language teacher, here’s why Beelinguapp rocks:
- It makes practicing reading skills fun and engaging.
- It’s got a library of audiobooks for everyone, from newbies to pros.
- You can assign reading materials to your students.
- It’s got quizzes to check your students’ comprehension.
Want to know more about Beelinguapp? Check out our detailed Beelinguapp review.
Beelinguapp’s Standout Features
- Parallel Texts Methodology: Beelinguapp uses the parallel texts method. It’s like having a bilingual book, letting students compare two languages side-by-side.
- Native Narration: Many of Beelinguapp’s stories are narrated by native speakers. This allows students to hear the language as it’s spoken.
What Are Users Saying About Beelinguapp?
Beelinguapp scored 4.2 stars on Google Play with over 71K ratings. Users love the unique approach to language learning, the user-friendly interface, and the wide variety of reading materials.
How Much Does Beelinguapp Cost?
Beelinguapp keeps it affordable. The premium version, which offers a richer content library, costs just $1.99 monthly. But if you’re in it for the long haul, you can snag a lifetime membership for $22.99.
Tandem: Best For Real-World Practice
Let’s move on to Tandem. This app is like your personal language exchange program. It connects users with native speakers of their target language for some real-world practice.
The cool part? It’s all about community. Users can find conversation buddies who share their interests and goals. And with options like text, voice notes, audio, and video calls, it’s all about keeping it genuine and authentic.
If you’re a language teacher, here’s why Tandem could be your new best friend:
- It’s a ticket for your students to practice their language skills in real-world scenarios.
- You can nudge your students to find conversation partners and practice speaking outside the classroom.
- The app’s got built-in language tools like translation and message correction to help students level up their vocabulary and grammar.
Want to know more about Tandem? Check out our detailed Tandem review. It’s packed with insights that you won’t want to miss.
Tandem’s Standout Features
- Community-Driven Approach: Tandem’s community lets users connect with like-minded folks and practice speaking in a natural and authentic way.
- Built-In Language Tools: Tandem has nifty language tools like translation, message correction, and comment features. These allow users to get feedback on their writing and speaking from native speakers.
What Are Users Saying About Tandem?
Tandem is getting some profound love from users. It’s got a rating of 4.3 stars on Google Play based on over 323K ratings. Users are digging the community vibe, the user-friendly interface, and the variety of communication options.
How Much Does Tandem Cost?
Tandem offers a free version with the essentials. But if you want more, like translations, you’ll need the Tandem Pro subscription.
It’s $13.99 monthly, $31.99 for 3 months, or $79.99 for 12 months. And if you’re feeling generous, there’s a lifetime subscription option for $34.99.
iTalki: Best For Teaching Less Common Languages
iTalki is a godsend platform for those into less commonly taught languages. Think along the lines of Basque, Tagalog, or even Esperanto.
iTalki connects learners with native speakers and language teachers from around the world. With over 150 languages available, iTalki offers a wide range of options for learners with a taste for the unique.
As a language teacher, here’s why iTalki could be your jam:
- It offers you a platform to reach a global audience of learners interested in studying less common languages.
- You can set your own rates and schedule.
- iTalki handles the payment and scheduling process, letting you focus on delivering top-notch lessons.
Want to know more about iTalki? Check out our honest iTalki review. It’s chock-full of info that you’ll find helpful.
iTalki’s Standout Features
- Community-Driven Approach: iTalki’s community-driven approach lets learners connect with native speakers and language teachers worldwide.
- Built-In Language Tools: iTalki offers built-in language tools like translation, message correction, and comment features.
What Are Users Saying About iTalki?
On Trustpilot, it has a rating of 4.7 stars based on over 12K reviews. Users adore the community vibe, the user-friendly interface, and the variety of communication options.
How Much Does iTalki Cost?
iTalki doesn’t have a set price. Instead, tutors set their own rates, which can range from as low as $4 up to $80 per lesson. This gives learners the flexibility to choose a tutor that fits their budget and learning goals.
Sanako Connect: Best For Comprehensive Language Exercises
Let’s dive into Sanako Connect, a language teaching software that saves time and boosts students’ fluency. Whether you teach face-to-face or remotely, this web-based hub has your back.
Sanako Connect has everything you need, all in one place. It’s designed for all languages and all language teachers, whether you’re teaching English as a Second Language (ESL), World Languages, or Modern Foreign Languages (MFL).
Wondering how Sanako Connect makes it to our list of best apps for language teachers? Here’s what teachers like you should know:
- Conduct simultaneous speaking assessments for the whole class and auto-collect individual recordings. Students can self-reflect by listening to their own recordings.
- Students can practice speaking and pronunciation by repeating native-like speech models. The system gives automatic feedback and scores.
- Create tasks using any video or audio file. Students can record their speech along with the original. This is great for interviews, interpreting training, or spontaneous speaking practice.
Sanako Connect’s Standout Features
- Live Group and Pair Discussions: Set up groups or pairs for live discussions and role plays, monitor each group, and collect recordings for later review.
- Increase Speaking Time: Boost your students’ speaking practice time up to 10X compared to traditional teaching methods. Perfect for honing intonation, speaking, and pronunciation skills.
What Are Users Saying About Sanako Connect?
On Software Advice, it’s rocking a solid 3.9-star rating based on 29 reviews. Users appreciate the platform’s versatility and top-notch customer service.
They also mentioned the fact that Sanako Connect can be accessed on any device, anywhere. However, some users have reported a few hiccups with recording and compatibility issues.
How Much Does Sanako Connect Cost?
As for the pricing, Sanako Connect operates on a subscription basis. The cost depends on the number of concurrent users (how many students can be online at the same time) and the length of the subscription.
The minimum package starts from 15 concurrent users and a 12-month subscription length. They also offer 3-year and 5-year contracts for better savings. For exact pricing, they recommend contacting them directly to receive a detailed quotation for your school or university.
The Ling App: Best For Interactive Learning
Last but not least, the talk of the town: the Ling App. This app is like a language-learning playground. It’s got over 60 languages in its arsenal.
The Ling app is not just about your usual memorization. Nope, the Ling app makes learning a foreign language feel like a game. It’s interactive, it’s fun, and it’s definitely effective.
Now, if you’re a language teacher, you might think, “How does this help me?” Well, let me tell you:
- The Ling app can be a great supplement to your teaching. It’s got extensive grammar tips and hundreds of dialogues. Your students can practice what they’ve learned in your class.
- The app also has a variety of interactive exercises. Your students can chat with the app’s bot to improve their pronunciation or play mini-games to reinforce what they’ve learned.
- The Ling app tracks progress with quizzes. With this, you can see how your students are doing and where they might need extra help.
If you want to learn more about this gem, our Ling app review will tell you why this language-learning app is one of the best out there.
The Ling App’s Standout Features
- Customizable Learning Path: This allows you to tailor the learning path according to the needs of your students. You can select specific topics and levels to focus on, making the learning process more targeted and efficient.
- Availability Across Platforms: The Ling app is available on iOS, Android, and even on the web. This means your students can learn anytime, anywhere, and on any device. It’s like having a portable language lab!
- Variety of Languages: The Ling app offers over 60 languages. So, whether your students are learning Spanish, French, or even less common languages like Urdu or Khmer, Ling has got them covered.
What Are Users Saying About The Ling App?
The Ling app has so many reviews on almost all software review sites, but on Product Hunt, it boasts a perfect 5-star rating with 25 reviews. That’s insane!
Users praise the app’s functionality, especially for learning Cantonese. They also appreciate the app’s category-based teaching and the reliable, consistent, and easy-to-understand “Latinization” of words.
How Much Does The Ling App Cost?
The Ling app offers a free version with 8 lessons and access to 60+ language courses. If you’re feeling the Ling vibe and want to upgrade to the Pro version, you’ve got a few options.
You can go for a monthly subscription at $8.99 per month, a yearly subscription at $4.58 per month ($54.99 total), or a lifetime subscription at $149.99.
Do These Apps For Language Teachers Really Help?
Alright, folks, let’s cut to the chase. Do these apps for language teachers really help? The answer is a resounding YES!
These best language learning apps can supercharge your teaching game, making lessons more engaging, interactive, and effective. They’re like your digital sidekicks, ready to assist you in creating a dynamic and immersive learning environment for your students.
But if we had to pick a winner, it’s the Ling app. It’s got interactive exercises, engaging activities, and a variety of languages.
You can also tell your students to read Ling’s daily language articles for extra grammar rules and cultural insights. It’s an excellent resource for everyone, I promise!