Even in the most peaceful country in the world, natural disasters or dabas katastrofa will never be out of the picture. If you plan to visit Latvia soon, you must learn at least the basic disaster vocabulary in Latvian to save yourself when the unexpected arises. Although Latvia has never recorded any catastrophic natural event, you can never predict when such words can come in handy. Thus, to have a relaxing and tension-free trip to Latvia, even during unexpected calamities, we suggest you take some time and look into common disaster words in the Latvian language. If that seems right to you, keep reading below!
Why Learn Latvian Disaster Translations?
Traveling has always been considered a fun experience. When we pack our luggage, the first few things we think of are our outfits, camera, shoes, and food. But what we usually miss is the danger of emergencies and their prevention. Especially when traveling to a new country, safety should be our priority, which, ironically, we all forget about.
If you are still not convinced why you should learn the basics, here is a list of reasons that might convince you!
- Imagine you facing severe floods or earthquakes during your trip. What would you do if you were clueless about the essential words? When you have some native words packed up your sleeves, you will always find a way to communicate and call for help. Thus, here goes the first and foremost reason why learning the native language is essential.
- While Latvia has never experienced any dangerous natural disasters other than a few cold wintery nights, it is only a fool’s choice to take that situation for granted. Mother nature has been affected negatively in this growing world of pollution, hazards, climate change, and many other factors. Thus, you never know when you may encounter the cruelest tragedies. Even countries like Latvia will face the same situation if people do not start taking prevention and reconstruction seriously.
- Lastly, knowing some common words related to disaster and calamities only makes your journey stress-free. It boosts confidence and prepares you to face the good and bad of the future. Moreover, learning vocabulary is a step forward to speaking Latvian fluently. Thus, if you are interested in learning languages, you must learn different terminologies.
Latvian Disaster Situation
Before we jump-start our vocabulary lesson, let us quickly peek at the Latvian Disaster status.
- As mentioned earlier, Latvia is out of the earthquake and volcanic zone, protecting itself from dangerous situations. Such a fact makes Latvia one of the safest countries to visit in terms of natural hazards case.
- The Civil Protection and Disaster Management Law of Latvia gives people the right to receive early warnings and preventive information in case of disaster threats. The government aid is strictly busy on the country’s well-being, allowing tourists and the locals to have a peaceful experience during their stay.
- The most that Latvians may experience is cold winter nights. While well-to-do families are still out of any severe danger, homeless people may become victims of such white nights. However, the Risk Management Planning system keeps account of such factors and tries to keep its citizens and guests out of severe danger.
All in all, Latvia is a safe country to visit during summer for your vacation. It is a beautiful country, and you will love the journey.
Disaster Vocabulary In Latvian: 5+ Common Words
This section will discover Latvian vocabulary concerning some of the most heard natural disasters. Later, we will use English translations to take up more words related to catastrophe. If you are striving to learn them, let’s get started!
1. Earthquake (Zemestrīce)
The most common natural disaster we hear about daily in News is Zemestrīce. Most huge countries like India, the USA, and Indonesia are prone to frequent Zemestrīce and have experienced severe earthquakes in recent years. However, lucky for you, Latvia has never recorded one and is located safely outside the earthquake-prone zone.
2. Drought (Sausums)
While Latvia is free of earthquakes, drought became a significant problem in June. There was also a multi-year drought from 2014-2018, a drought in the soil caused due to high temperatures. Government officials and NGOs have been trying to prevent such occurrences through proper water availability and changing the quality of Latvian inland waters.
3. Flood (Plūdi)
Talking about floods or Plūdi, Latvians experience it primarily due to river or lakeside floods. Such disasters occur during the spring snowmelt season, and many cities near Latvia’s coast become prone to damage. However, Latvia has no frequent records of floods, and even at times of occurrence, it is far better than floods in India and China.
4. Tsunami (Cunami)
Tsunami, or Cunami, as the locals call it, is not much of a problem in Latvia. Although not impossible, there has been no record of dangerous tsunamis in the states. However, it is always important to be aware and cautious. So make sure you have your safety tips ready with you.
5. Wildfires (Savvaļas Ugunsgrēki)
Wildfires are one of the few disasters prominent in Latvia due to drought conditions. One of the large forest fires was registered in Latvia in July due to high winds and drought. More than 800 hectares of land were destroyed because of the prolonged fire. As mentioned, the risk of natural disasters is increasing daily because of the changing climate condition.
No tornadoes have ever been recorded in Latvia. It is outside a tornado-prone zone, and nobody talks about it in the states. The translation for tornado in Latvia is the same as the English word. So, you have a free pass in this term.
7. Hurricane (Viesuļvētra)
There have been devastating hurricanes, viesuļvētra, and storm records in Latvia’s history. However, it is reported that such occurrences are not very frequent, and it is still safe for tourists to visit the country and have the best days of their lives.
8. Landslide (Nogruvums)
Landslides or Nogruvums in Latvia are pretty frequent on the slopes of river valleys. Most Nogruvums are caused due to heavy rains. Many case studies have been going around the landslides condition in Latvia as it is reducing revenue after forceful close down of famous sightseeing for tourists.
More Natural Disaster Vocabulary In Latvian
Since you are into the disaster talk already, let’s expand our knowledge and learn more words related to calamities in this section. It will enhance your skills and make you a better speaker. If you agree to it, let’s begin!
Phrases To Use During Emergencies
How To Prepare For Natural Disasters
Although you are sure to be perfectly fine in Latvia during your trip, safety should never be compromised. So, here are some tips on how to be prepared to face the worst days in your journey.
- Always read the news and collect necessary information regarding safety measures of the country you are traveling to. Before visiting any place, ensure the relevant information allows you to do so during that particular time. Also, remember to keep emergency helpline numbers saved and memorized if possible.
- Purchase a sim card through legitimate travel authorities to stay connected. In times of emergencies, you will need to call for help through calls as domestic sim cards can cause interruption and may remain unresponsive during calamities.
- Always carry a waterproof bag with you. Be it a mobile plastic bag or a handbag that is water resistant, having a large enough packet to take all the necessary items like phones, passports, money, etc., is important. Such a precaution is most useful when it concerns disasters like floods.
- Try and accumulate natural disasters vocabulary and phrases in the native language. It will help you understand emergency notices, broadcast TV and radio reports quicker, and call for help from the locals without causing any delay or confusion.
- Once you land, always try to connect with the locals. Because at times of urgent conditions, they are the only ones who know best. If you are good to them, they will help you out.
Have A Safe Journey!
Knowing some precaution tips and Latvian language words related to natural disasters, you can potentially protect yourself throughout the journey. This blog covered all the accurate words and phrases that will become essential tools during your travel, and we hope you liked it. However, if you want to explore more and find out about the Latvian culture, download the Ling App from Appstore or Playstore today!
Learn Latvian With Ling
Let me tell you this…Ling is unlike any other language learning website.
It is a language learning source that provides content on different topics such as food, sports, health, utensils, etc. Once you accept the service of Ling, you also get to practice your lessons with the AI chatbot of the app through interactive sessions. The best part is that you can learn other languages as Ling covers more than 50 languages. So, download Ling and secure your trip right away!