If you were given just seven days to watch Netflix and learn the Urdu language, you’d find yourself in the middle of a love triangle, messy search, cheering as an aging father’s illness reunites a wealthy minister’s son with his would-be wife, and the list goes on! And that’s not just in television shows, Urdu movies are equally intriguing and worth your time if you are trying to improve your Urdu skills. So here is some binge-worthy Urdu Netflix shows highly recommended for you!
In Pakistan, people may wonder about Netflix’s content as it is a Muslim country and may be quite conservative. Though both these points are true, Netflix in Pakistan has the same shows and movies as anywhere else in the world. So if you are learning a new language, the best way to learn using TV shows and movies is to look out for famous actors. In the Urdu-speaking world, names such as Adeel Hussain, Mahira Khan, Fawad Khan, and so on have gained great credit for their work on screen and are certainly worth your time.
Want to start learning through Urdu movies? Let’s begin!
Classic Urdu Netflix Shows
In the bullets below, you’ll find the classic Urdu movies that are considered 5-star movies by the locals. Though they are not entirely new, these are great starting points for learning the language and the culture.
- Humsafar ہمسفر (Journey mate): This drama series is known for its incredible portrayal of family drama and politics that will keep you hooked from start to finish. Not to mention, it launched the careers of Fawad Khan and Mahira Khan, two of Pakistan’s most beloved actors. Trust us when we say if you want to understand family dynamics and experience a fantastic show, “Humsafar” should be at the top of your watch list!
- Sadqay Tumhare صدقے تمہارے (Your charity): Set in the 80s, this show offers a unique perspective on the customs and traditions of that era. It’s not just a love story, but it’s also a story about family and the dynamics within. Plus, you’ll be surprised by the role reversal as the girl takes charge and chases the boy. It’s definitely a must-watch for anyone looking for a fresh take on Pakistani dramas.
- Zindagi Gulzar Hai زندگی گلزار ہے (Life is beautiful): If you’re looking for a TV show with a great story and a dashing lead actor, then this show is a must-watch! Fawad Khan’s performance is exceptional, and the story of two individuals from different backgrounds who find their way to a happy ending is heartwarming. It’s a great depiction of how love can conquer all, despite societal differences.
- Dukhtar دختر (Daughter): The film tells the story of a mother and daughter who go on a perilous journey to escape their oppressive living situation and start anew. Through their journey, the movie delves into complex issues such as child marriage and gender inequality that still exist in some parts of the country.
- Ho Mann Jahan ہو منن جہاں (Where are you): It’s all about young adults finding themselves and their passion for music while navigating through the ups and downs of love and relationships. You’ll get to see some of the most popular Pakistani actors, like Adeel Hussain, Mahira Khan, and Sheheryar Munawar, in a sort-of love triangle. So, grab some popcorn and get ready to be entertained!
Must Watch Urdu Movies
If you are learning the Urdu language and culture through Urdu Netflix shows, not all movies are helpful, but they are certainly helpful to start a trending conversation, so why not watch the movies most loved by Urdu people? Urdu movies that have the most views on Netflix are:
- Janaan جاناں (Go): This is a romantic comedy about a Pakistani woman who has returned home from living in Canada just to attend a wedding.
- Cake کیک: This is a comedy about two sisters who care for their aging parents. The dynamics of the family under one roof during this time is a sight to behold!
- 7 Din Mohobbat In ٧ دن موہوبّت ان: The literal translation of this would be “Getting your love in just seven days.” Perhaps, the title says it all! The movie is set in Karachi of a man out to search for the love of his life.
- Chalay Thay Saath چلے تھی ساتھ: This can be translated as “We walked together.” This is an uncommon feat where a Pakistani doctor meets a Chinese backpacker and falls in love.
- Harud ہاروڈ: The movie means Autumn and is about a family that has to come to terms with the fact that their son is no more. They face challenges living in Kashmir, and we see how they endure.
- Allahyar and the Legend of Markor اللھیار اینڈ تھے لیجنڈ وف مارکور: For animation lovers, this is a story of a boy in the wilderness of Pakistan facing many poachers and challenges to achieve his mission.
Make sure to strike up a fun conversation on these Urdu Netflix shows and see what other recommendations you can get from locals!
Learn Urdu With Ling
Want to master Urdu? Ling, one of the best language learning apps available to learn this beautiful language, is here to help you out! Besides the endless list of topics that will draw your interest, you will find words, phrases, phrasebooks, quizzes, and amazing features that’ll surely help you progress in Urdu and 60+ other languages. Try the Ling app today by downloading it from the Apple Store or Google Play Store now.