Last updated on November 21st, 2022 at 03:59 am
If there’s anything we know about the Indian Punjabi suits, then that would be that it is an absolute style statement. It has been around for centuries and has stood the test of time. In fact, it continues to be a very popular choice for weddings, parties, and even formal meetings to this day. According to the locals, one reason behind its popularity is its versatility and artful look. Want to learn more about it? Keep reading below!
The Indian Punjabi suits come in different styles, but they all have one thing in common: they are very classy and sophisticated. The most popular traditional ones are the Phulkari, Patiala Salwar, Jama, Punjabi Ghagra, and many more. What sets these apart is that these attires carry designs that are very intricate and colorful, so they tend to stand out in a crowd. More importantly, they reflect much about the wearer’s personality, character, and culture. Many people are intrigued by these Indian Punjabi suits but don’t know where to start. That’s why we have decided to make this guide for you!
Names Of Punjabi Suits
If you are fond of Indian fashion, trust me when I say that the Punjabi suits we will cover below will make you fall in love even more! Without further ado, let’s get started.
- ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Punjabi Salwar Suits): The Punjabi salwar suit tailored is the best fit but can also be ready-made and available in different sizes. It is traditionally the most popular of all suits.
- ਪੋਠੋਹਾਰੀ ਸੂਟ (Pothohari Suit): From the Pothohari side of Punjab, it is very wide. The pants and top and also the scarf are pretty large.
- ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਸੁਥਾਨ ਸੂਟ (Punjabi Suthan Suit): In ancient times, it was very tight-fitting with folds, but over time it has changed. It is usually colorful cotton salwar with vertical silk lines.
- ਸਰਾਇਕੀ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Saraiki Shalwar Suit): There are two major types for this suit, and that includes the Bhawalpuri and Multani.
- ਭਵਲਪੁਰੀ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Bhawalpuri Shalwar Suit): From Bhawalpur, they are extrememly wide and baggy salwars.
- ਮੁਲਤਾਨੀ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Multani Shalwar Suit): These pants are also wide and baggy, but the waist is also very wide.
Modern Punjabi Suits
In Punjab, fashion is considered an important part of their culture. With this said, many locals make it a point to look for ways to stay up to date with the latest fashion trends. For this reason, you can see why some of the modern Punjabi suits are often tailored to be unique to help those who’ll wear them express their individuality and culture.
- ਅਨਾਰਕਲੀ ਸੂਟ (Anarkali Suit): The kurta or top looks more like a flowing dress. The beauty is in the flares.
- ਫਰੌਕ ਸਟਾਈਲ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Frock Style Salwar Suit): The flare in this top starts from the waist or mid-section and is knee length.
- ਅੰਗਰਖਾ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Angarkha Salwar Suit): The style is from Rajasthan and has a royal air around it. It gives a classic formal look while maintaining a traditional one too.
- ਕੋਟੀ ਸਟਾਈਲ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Jacket Style Salwar Suit): A mix of casual and formal, trendy and classy. The small jacket adds a unique look.
- ਪੈਂਟ ਸਟਾਈਲ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Pant Style Salwar Suit): Literally as the name says it, you can have pants made or bought to match the kurta (top) and dupatta (scarf). They even have pockets!
- ਪਾਕਿਸਤਾਨੀ ਸਟਾਈਲ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Pakistani Style Salwar Suit): It may have longer or full sleeves. The kurta length may vary from the knee downwards. It is worn with pants. Another distinguished or formal look.
- ਲਹਿੰਗਾ ਸਟਾਈਲ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Lehenga Style Salwar Suit): It is most often worn at weddings. It adds to style and glamour as the kurta is most often embroidered.
- ਸ਼ਰਾਰਾ ਸਟਾਈਲ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Sharara Style Salwar Suit): The flare in the kurta starts from the waist. The pants are wide-legged. They are often also called Gharara suits.
- ਅਫਗਾਨੀ ਸਟਾਈਲ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Afghani Style Salwar Suit): The pants are wide pleated baggy style. The top may have an extra jacket-like layer over it. Looks very trendy.
- ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਸਲਵਾਰ ਸੂਟ (Punjabi Salwar Suit): The original and evergreen Punjabi Suit of all-time. Baggy pants and a short kurta usually define Punjabi women.
Punjabi Suits Online Shopping
Although you will find much more details in this link, here are some of my favorites.
Punjabi Suits Designer Suits
How can we talk about Punjabi suits and not mention some amazing designers? Here are some trending names in the world of designer Punjabi suits:
- Anu Batra
- Nimrat Kahlon
- Shruti Jamal
- Anjul Bhandari
- Rachit Khanna
- Sureena Chowdhri
Learn Punjabi With Ling
Now that you have an idea about the details related to Punjabi fashion, now is the time for you to update your linguistic skills in this language as well. If you want to learn more about Punjabi and 60+ other languages, then there’s nothing more that we can recommend than Ling! Ling is a fantastic resource built to help you master any language through the use of gamification.
Gamification is one of the most innovative ways by which one can quickly acquire a new language that’s why we made it a point to include features for that as well. In addition, we added several in-depth lesson guides so that you can understand every critical linguistic point. This means that we won’t just be giving you drills about vocabulary! Instead, we are taking it up a notch so that you can move forward and onward with your target language.