Many people do not realize this, but each language has its own version of country names and nationalities. This is why when you’re traveling and you look at a world map in another language, you might not recognize country names or city names. So in today’s language lesson, you’re going to learn the names of countries and nationalities in Slovak and language names too from around the world.
Fair warning, the language lessons will include Slovak names for nationalities, languages, and countries for the more commonly heard or familiar terms. There are many examples that we have left out. It would be a lot to add all 195 countries and over 1,700 language terms, however, if you’d like to see a country, nationality, or language added to the list, please add a comment down below!
A Closer Look At Slovaks And Slovakia
- Slovakia is also known officially as the Slovak Republic. Some people even refer to it as the Slovak Socialist Republic, however that name went out of favor when the country joined the European Union (EU) in 2004.
- Slovakia used to be a part of Czechoslovakia.
- In the Slovak language, Slovakia is called slovensko.
- A person from Slovakia in Slovak is called a Slovák (male), Slovenka (female).
- The capital city of the Slovak Republic is Bratislava.
- Formerly known as the Slovak Socialist Republic, the country used to be under communist rule. In 1989 that changed and modern-day Slovakia is a parliamentary republic and the Slovak government is led by a prime minister.
- As the country is a part of the EU, they use the Euro.
- Slovakia is also a member of NATO.
- The Slovak Republic is divided into five parts: Western Slovakia, Eastern Slovakia, Central Slovakia, Northern Slovakia, and Southern Slovakia.
- Slovakia is a land-locked nation. Its surrounding countries are Austria, Hungary, Ukraine, Poland, and the Czech Republic.
- Slovakia is located in Central Europe.
- Slovak is spoken by over 85% of the population in the Slovak Republic. The remaining 15% is made up of a variety of languages.
- The Czech and Slovak languages are closely related as they’re both Slavic languages and the Czech Republic and Slovakia used to be a part of a single nation called Czechoslovakia.
Now it’s time to dive into languages, country names and nationalities in Slovak.
Languages, Countries and Nationalities In Slovak
|Australia/Oceania||Austrália / Oceánia||
|North America||Severná Amerika|
|South America||Južná Amerika|
What Are The Continents Called In Slovak?
English Slovak Pronunciation
What Are The Countries Called In Slovak?
Let’s see what the Slovaks call some of the more well-known countries.
North American Countries In Slovak
|United States/America||Spojené štáty americké/Amerika|
Caribbean Country Names In Slovak
|Dominican Republic||Dominikánska republika|
South American Country Names In Slovak
African Countries In Slovak
|South Africa||Južná Afrika|
European Countries In Slovak
Asian Countries In Slovak
Oceania Countries In Slovak
|Marshall Islands||Marshallove ostrovy|
|New Zealand||Nový Zéland|
|Papua New Guinea||Papua-Nová Guinea|
|Solomon Islands||Šalamúnove ostrovy|
What Are The Names Of Nationalities In Slovak?
In the Slovak language, there are distinctions made between men or women. This means there are separate terms used when speaking about the nationality of a male or female. See our list to see what we mean!
What Are Languages Called In Slovak?
Of course with each country and nationality comes a unique language. So how do you say your language in Slovak?
Ways To Discuss Nationalities In Slovak
How To Ask ‘Where Are You From?’ In Slovak
Where are you from?
Where do you come from?
What is your country of origin?
How To Respond To ‘Where Are You From?’ In Slovak
- I am from (insert country) Som z…
- I come from (insert country) Pochádzam z…
- My country of origin is (insert country) Moja krajina pôvodu je…
- I live in (insert country) Žijem v….
Ways To Discuss Languages Spoken In Slovak
How To Ask ‘What Languages Do You Speak?’ In Slovak
- What languages do you speak? Akými jazykmi hovoríš?
- How many languages do you speak? Koľkými jazykmi hovoríš?
How To Respond To ‘What Languages Do You Speak?’ In Slovak
Other Country And Nationality Slovak Vocabulary:
Ready For More Slovak Language Lessons?!
You’re well on your way to start learning countries and nationalities in Slovak. Are you ready to learn more? Why don’t we start with some basic must know words as phrases and how to greet people in Slovak. If you’re more advanced than that, or a beginner too, we suggest continuing your learning journey with Ling App.
Why Choose Ling App?
Ling App is a really popular language app with over 10 million downloads and is an all-encompassing tool to help you learn the Slovak language. While some say that Slovak is the most difficult language in the world to learn, we know that even the most challenging languages can be made fun to learn.
Ling has fun quizzes, flashcards, and a pretty awesome mascot who will keep you accountable to your learning progress.
Also, if you found the pronunciation of countries and nationalities in Slovak challenging, not to worry! Our AI system has used native Slovak speakers to record all conversations and listening comprehension tasks. This will ensure that you can tune your ear to Slovak and learn to sound like a native speaker quickly.
Not only that but you’ll learn writing by tracing over letters and words right on your phone. There will also be lessons with interactive quizzes presented to you and flashcards lessons.