Learning a new language? I’ve been there, and I know it’s not always easy to remember all those new words and phrases. But guess what? There’s help out there, and it’s right at your fingertips.
After exploring countless language apps and seeing what they offer, I’ve found the ones that truly stand out. These are the best apps for language retention that can make learning a new language effective and much easier.
So today, I will introduce you to the six best apps that can help you retain the language you’re learning. Live classes, fun games, lifelike conversations – you name it, they’ve got it.
Below, you’ll find a comparison table. Each has something unique to offer, catering to different needs and preferences.
Apps For Language Retention
|App||Starting Price||Best For|
|Lingoda||$10/hour||Retaining Language Through Live Interaction|
|Fluenz||$187/program||Retention Through Immersive Cultural Experience|
|Pimsleur||$19.95/month||Retention Through Conversational Practice|
|Rype||$99/month||Personalized Retention Based on Individual Needs|
|Memrise||$14.99/month||Retention Through Authentic Conversations|
|Ling||$8.99/month||Retention Through Engaging Fun Learning|
Lingoda: Best For Retaining Language Through Live Interaction
Lingoda has been helping students learn languages online since 2013, and they have a good thing going. Live and online classes are their bread and butter, and they don’t mess around regarding quality.
Every teacher there has at least two years of experience, so you know you’re in good hands. The live interaction part? That’s what helps make the language stick. It feels natural, like you’re having a chat with a friend.
Lingoda’s Standout Features
- Group Classes: Lingoda’s group classes are like a small, friendly classroom online, with no more than five students. This setup encourages interaction and helps the language stick in your mind.
- Private Classes: If you prefer personal attention, Lingoda’s private lessons are tailored to your needs, focusing on what you want to learn.
What Are Users Saying About Lingoda?
Lingoda has earned a 4.4-star rating on Trustpilot, with 4.3K reviews. Here’s what people say:
- Positive Feedback: People love the flexibility. Change teachers? Change times? No problem. One user said, “I can change to different teachers and times that I love and am available. It is so convenient for me to arrange my schedule.”
- Room for Improvement: Some folks found that while some teachers are super dedicated, others rush through. One learner said, “Some teachers are very dedicated, while others just finish the class and leave… Overall, my experience is still positive.”
How Much Does Lingoda Cost?
|Free Trial||$0||-3 group classes or 1 private lesson|
-7-day full access to the platform
|Hourly||Group: $10.00–$20.00/hr||-Group Classes: $10.00 to $20.00/hour|
-Private Lessons: $20.00 to $42.50 per hour
-Prices vary by language and number of classes
|Monthly||$59.00–$549.00/month||-4 to 40 classes/month|
-Spanish, French: $59 to $409
-General English: $59 to $399
-German: $79 to $489
-Business English: $79 to $549
-No penalty for fewer classes
-Option to buy more
|Sprint||$440–$960||-Sprint (15 classes/month) or Super Sprint (30 classes/month)|
-Spanish, French, English: $440 to $880
-German, Business English: $480 to $960
-50% cash back if the challenge is completed
-$59 down payment
Fluenz: Best For Retention Through Immersive Cultural Experience
Ever wanted to learn a language and truly live it? Fluenz does just that. With a six-day Spanish immersion program filled with top-notch teachers, meals at fancy restaurants, and trips to famous museums, Fluenz takes you right into the heart of the culture.
You don’t just learn words and grammar. You get to know the culture and make your target language a part of your daily life. Interested in knowing more? Read our detailed Fluenz review and find out why it’s also a top choice for starters in language learning.
Fluenz’s Standout Features
- Simulated Classroom Environment: Fluenz gives you the feel of a real classroom. You watch video tutorials, do interactive activities, and have a teacher who explains everything clearly.
- Comprehensive Content: Fluenz offers video lessons that dig into grammar and plenty of material and exercises to help you practice.
What Are Users Saying About Fluenz?
Fluenz has a 3.8-star rating from 230 reviews on Google Play. Here’s the scoop:
- Positive Feedback: Users appreciate the ability to try sessions and download everything for learning on the go. One user praised, “You’ll REALLY have it on demand… and you won’t have to use Wi-Fi even if you have it!”
- Room for Improvement: Some users had difficulty with the app on Android devices. One person expressed frustration, saying, “Can’t understand how to do a writing workout… Spending more time figuring out the app functionality rather than learning Spanish.”
How Much Does Fluenz Cost?
|Free Trial||$0||-Introduction to the Fluenz program (not sufficient for actual learning)|
|1 Level||$187||-Access to one level of the program|
|2 Levels||$258||-Access to two levels of the program|
|5 Levels (Complete Course)||$398||-Access to all five levels of the program|
|Spanish Immersion Program (Single Person)||$6,920||-Six-day intensive Spanish tuition|
|Spanish Immersion Program (Two Students Together)||$6,535/person||-Same as the single-person program|
-Discount for two students studying together
Pimsleur: Best For Retention Through Conversational Practice
If you want to dive into a language and make it stick, Pimsleur might be the way to go. This language app focuses on conversational practice, helping you speak and read in your chosen language.
With Pimsleur, you’re not just memorizing words. You’re engaging in real conversations. The app offers 30-minute lessons you can take anywhere, making it easy to fit your learning style.
And with features like voice recognition and hands-free mode, you can practice naturally and authentically. Want to know more? Read our complete Pimsleur review and find out why its features enhance memory recall.
Pimsleur’s Standout Features
- Read and Speak: Pimsleur doesn’t just teach you to speak. It helps you read your new language without losing focus on speaking.
- Skills Practice: Practice sentences and phrases by topic with Quick Match & Speed Rounds. Flashcards help you practice vocabulary.
What Are Users Saying About Pimsleur?
Pimsleur has a 4.4-star rating with 9.43K reviews on Google Play. Here’s what people are saying:
- Positive Feedback: Users love the conversational approach and find the app impressive. One user said, “The best way to start learning a new native language… Somewhat expensive, but you get a lot for your money.”
- Room for Improvement: Some users have reported glitches and crashes, especially on specific devices like the Pixel 7 Pro. One user mentioned, “Great app, but please work on the bugs.”
How Much Does Pimsleur Cost?
|Free 7-day Trial||$0||-Limited access to all language courses|
|Premium (One Language)||$19.95/month||-Full access to one language course|
|All Access (All Languages)||$20.95/month||-Full access to all language courses|
|All Access Annual (All Languages)||$164.95/year||-Full access to all language courses for one year|
Rype App: Best For Personalized Retention Based On Individual Needs
Rype is like a personal guide on your language-learning journey. Instead of just giving you materials, it pairs you with real human tutors for one-on-one video calls.
And guess what? It’s not going to break the bank. You can have a half-hour class for less than $10 (for hourly rate). But it’s not just about the price. What makes Rype special is how it shapes the learning around you.
It’s flexible, personal, and designed for anyone serious about learning a foreign language. Whether you’re starting fresh or brushing up, Rype is worth looking for.
Rype App’s Standout Features
- Personalized Lessons: Rype offers one-on-one lessons with teachers, focusing on your needs and goals.
- Flexible Scheduling: With 30-minute sessions, you can fit learning into your day, no matter how busy you are. It’s learning at your own pace.
What Are Users Saying About The Rype App?
Rype has a 3.0-star rating on Trustpilot with 54 reviews. Let’s see what users experienced:
- Positive Feedback: Users praise the excellent teachers and the attentive support team. The communication between teachers and students has improved, and scheduling is easy. One user noted, “Most importantly, I’m making progress in my language skills.”
- Room for Improvement: Some users have had auto-renewal and refund policy issues. One user described it as “Very shady!!!” and another mentioned that the platform wasn’t for them.
How Much Does The Rype App Cost?
|4 hours||$99/month||-4 hours per month|
-2 lessons per week
-30-minute 1-on-1 lessons
|8 hours||$197/month||-8 hours per month|
-2 lessons per week
-30-minute 1-on-1 lessons
|Daily||$349/month||-15 hours per month|
-4 lessons per week
-30-minute 1-on-1 lessons
-15% off-billed in 12 installments
|Annual||$295/year||-15 hours per month|
-4 lessons per week
-30-minute 1-on-1 lessons
-15% off-billed in 12 instalments
Memrise: Best For Retention Through Authentic Conversations
Next up is Memrise, a language learning app that makes language retention through authentic conversations. It lets you understand and retain them in a real and engaging way.
By immersing you in genuine conversations with native speakers and providing practice with an AI tutor, Memrise ensures that the language becomes a part of you. You’ll learn to speak like a local, understand various accents, and enjoy the language-learning process.
What sets Memrise apart is its focus on real-life language use. The words and phrases you learn are those that people actually use. Eager to dive deeper? Don’t miss our fail-proof Memrise review.
Memrise’s Standout Features
- AI-Language Tutor: Practice speaking with MemBot, your personal AI tutor, and gain confidence in your language skills.
- Real Native Conversations: Tune into over 30,000 conversations between real natives, and get a feel for how they actually talk.
What Are Users Saying About Memrise?
With a 4.6-star rating on Google Play and 1.5M reviews, Memrise has made quite an impression.
- Positive Feedback: Users love the real-life approach to language learning. One user said, “I can confidently understand accents and listen to words and phrases they actually use.”
- Room for Improvement: Some users have faced challenges with the app’s redesign. One user expressed frustration, saying, “The new design doesn’t seem to consider my past progress, and I’m stuck with learning the basics again.”
How Much Does Memrise Cost?
|Monthly||$14.99||-Full access to all languages and lessons|
-30,000 native speaker videos
|Annual||$7.50/month ($89.99 billed annually)||-Same as the Monthly plan for a year|
|Lifetime||$199.99 (one-time payment)||-Same as the Monthly plan for life|
Ling: Best For Retention Through Engaging Fun Learning
Last but certainly not least, let’s explore the Ling app, a standout in language learning. Specializing in Southeast Asian and European languages, Ling takes a unique approach by offering quick, bite-sized lessons that are fun and effective.
The Ling app is more than just a free language learning app. It’s a community of language learners. With courses crafted in collaboration with native speakers, the Ling app aims to make you a well-rounded language learner.
Whether you’re learning Vietnamese, Serbian, Thai, or any of the 60+ languages offered, Ling’s practical vocabulary, grammar tips, and pronunciation guides prepare you for real-world conversations.
Want some proof? Dive into our unbiased Ling app review and find out why it’s one of the best apps for language retention you’ll need to consider.
The Ling App’s Standout Features
- Fun and Engaging: Ling’s lessons feel like games, making language learning enjoyable and producing proven results.
- Habitual Learning: Track your progress and build a learning streak. Ling makes language learning a daily habit that sticks.
- Community Focus: Join a global community of language enthusiasts, stay updated on Ling’s latest features, and be part of something bigger.
What Are Users Saying About The Ling App?
With a 4.7-star rating and 97 reviews on the App Store, users are loving the Ling App. Here’s what they have to say:
- Positive Feedback: Users love Ling’s fun approach. One said, “It’s like playing and learning at the same time! Amazing!” Many appreciate how it builds from simple to complex lessons.
- Room for Improvement: Some users mentioned minor issues like lag and certain features needing refinement. One user noted, “Please fix it! And make it less laggy. Anyway, it is a pretty good app.” These concerns don’t overshadow the overall positive experience.
How Much Does The Ling App Cost?
-200 lessons in 50 units
-Access to 60+ languages
-Sync across all your devices
-Talk with the chatbot about 20 topics
-Grammar tips in many languages
|Yearly||$79.99/year ($6.67/month)||-All features of the Monthly plan|
|Lifetime||$149.99 (one-time payment)||-All features of the Yearly plan|
Do These Apps For Language Retention Really Work?
Yes, these apps for language retention indeed work, and here’s why:
- Personalized Learning: Apps like Rype and Ling offer customized lessons tailored to individual needs, making learning more engaging.
- Real-Life Conversations: Memrise and Fluenz immerse you in authentic conversations, helping you understand and speak like a local.
- Fun and Engaging Methods: Ling and Memrise turn learning into a game, making retention more natural.
- Community Support: Ling builds a community of learners, providing motivation and support.
But among these, the Ling app shines the brightest. With its focus on fun learning, community engagement, and a wide range of languages, the Ling app ensures that you learn and retain the language.
And for more grammar lessons and cultural insights, explore our daily language articles. With Ling, language learning is not a task; it’s a delightful experience.