Is watching movies one of your favorite hobbies? If the answer is yes, then you’ll love this post! We’ll be talking all about some of the most famous movies in Thailand to date and even a handy app that can help you learn Thai in order to be able to fully understand the meaning of Thai movies!
Trust us, in this post, you’ll learn all the movie vocabulary in Thai you’d ever need to know as well as practical phrases to use at the cinema! Let’s start learning – 1, 2, 3, action!
Thai Movie Genres
The next time you can’t decide what kind of movie to watch, you can refer to the following list of movie genres in Thai.
- หนังบู๊ (năng boó) – Action movie
- หนังวิทยาศาสตร์ (năng wíd-tá-yaa-saàd) – Sci-Fi movie
- หนังรัก (năng rák) – Romantic movie
- หนังตลก (năng dtà-lòk) – Comedy movie
- หนังชีวิต (năng chee-wít) – Drama movie
- หนังสืบสวนสอบสวน (năng seùb-suăn-sàwb-suăn) – Mystery movie
- หนังสยองขวัญ (năng sà-yăwng-kwăn) – Horror movie
- หนังผี (năng peě) – Ghost movie
- การ์ตูน (gaa-dtoon) – Animation movie
- หนังย้อนยุค (năng yáwn-yúk) – Period movie
- หนังประวัติศาสตร์ (năng bprà-wàd-dtì-saàd) – Historic movie
- หนังสงคราม (năng sŏng-kraam) – War movie
- หนังอาชญากรรม (năng aàd-chá-yaa-gam) – Criminal movie
- หนังไทย (năng-Thai) – Thai movie
- หนังฝรั่ง (năng fá-ràng) – Western movie
List Of Movie Vocabulary In Thai For You
To have a casual conversation about movies in Thai, you definitely need to learn these commonly used Thai words related to the movies and cinema.
- หนัง (nǎng) – movie
- โรงหนัง (roong nǎng) – cinema
- ตั๋วหนัง (dtǔa-nǎng) – movie ticket
- แถวบน (tɛ̌ɛw bon) – upper row seats
- แถวล่าง (tɛ̌ɛw làang) – lower row seats
- ที่นั่งธรรมดา (tîi-nâng tam-ma-daa) – normal seat
- ที่นั่งพิเศษ (tîi-nâng pí-sèet) -special seat
- เวลาฉาย (wee-laa chǎai) – showtime
- จองตั๋วหนัง (jaawng dtǔua nǎng) – to book
- ผู้กำกับ (phûu gam-gàp) – director
- นักแสดง (nák sà-daaeng) – actor, actress
- พระเอก (prá-aìk) – main actor
- นางเอก (naang-aìk) – main actress
- พระรอง (prá-rawng) – supporting actor
- นางรอง (naang-rawng) – supporting actress
- ตัวโกง (dtua gohng) – bad guy
- นางร้าย (naang-raaí) – bad woman
Thai Phrases To Use At The Cinema
If you are currently in Thailand, without a doubt these phrases will save you at the cinema or theater in Thailand!
Top 5 Thai Movies To Watch This Summer
Here are the top 5 movies that are beloved by Thai people. If you want to enjoy a good Thai movie and learn Thai at the same time, these movie recommendations are perfect for you! But, if these aren’t enough for you, you can always do your own research since Thailand is known for having so many TV dramas!
If you have any other movie recommendations, please feel free to let us know in the comments below!
Lynn is a top-notch genius at school, but she is broke. Things get interesting when her wealthy friends who barely passed middle school come to her with an unusual job offer. She has to help them cheat on their exams.
This movie will definitely get your adrenaline pumping as you watch them all put their futures at risk to pass an exam. The movie is also praised for touching upon serious topics like the social hierarchy and education system in Thailand.
Mei Li is a 30 years old single woman that’s desperately on the search for true love. Then one day she thinks that she may have finally met the perfect man, but will things work out?
Bangkok Traffic Love Story provides insight into the life of Bangkokians in their 30s who are hoping to meet “the one”. This movie is totally relatable if you also consider yourself part of the lonely hearts club in a big city.
Famous internet star Eclair is kidnapped by her obsessive fan Jack and his sister Grace, a forgotten internet celebrity who’s jealous of the rising star’s online popularity. Next, let the torture games begin.
As we all know, anyone can become famous online these days, which is why this psychological thriller is a perfect reflection of the dark side of internet fame.
After the village’s beloved sacred statue is stolen, a Muay Thai boxing master goes on an adventure to take it back whatever the cost. Ong-Bak is a legendary movie due to the fact that it promotes Thailand’s boxing as an art form.
Ped is a shy boy who had never listened to music until his childhood crush Ern introduced him to the world of pop and rock. Then she left to pursue her dream of becoming a famous rock singer.
Not soon after, Ped and his friends decide to form a band in order to look cool and attract girls. But, when Ern comes back and starts teaching Ped and his best friend Koong some guitar skills, Ped and Koong’s shared attraction to Ern begins to put a strain on their friendship. We know you aren’t ready for this rom-com drama!
Learn More Thai Language With The Ling App!
If you are interested in learning Thai or any of the other 60+ foreign languages offered in the app, then you will absolutely love the Ling App!
The Ling App is a language-learning app designed to help all learners as they venture out on their language-learning journeys. With so many engaging activities to choose from, such as writing and listening exercises, mini-games, quick quizzes, and an AI chatbot to converse with, the Ling App is an all-in-one language learning resource.
Start learning Thai, or any other language, now by downloading the Ling app today!