Last updated on December 1st, 2023 at 10:29 am
Swahili invites you to a new adventure! Its simplicity and elegance make it accessible to learners of all levels. The Swahili language, often described as a linguistic mosaic, holds within its syllables a world of history, culture, and beauty that is waiting to be discovered.
So, are you interested in learning Swahili but ? Don’t worry. We have narrowed down all the best apps to learn Swahili, like the Ling app that works the best for you, especially if you are a beginner.
Best Apps To Learn Swahili
These apps will not only help you build your vocabulary through common words and phrases but also allow you to practice your pronunciation as well! You’ll be speaking Swahili before you know it!
So, let’s get started!
- Easy to comprehend lessons
- Native speaker audio and speaking practice
- Grammar and vocabulary exercises
- One-on-one lessons
- Learn from native speakers
- Flexible scheduling
- Gamified learning
- Placement tests
- Adaptive learning
The Ling app is definitely one of the language-learning community favorites! With its game-like features, you will be able to learn Swahili in its full spectrum and have fun at the same time. It’s a double whammy!
This app is committed to making language learning as easy as possible. You are able to see that in its straightforward lesson format and structure. With Ling, not only will you be able to build your vocabulary, but you’ll be given extensive grammar tips and instructions to help you improve your language skills
With the app’s bite-sized comprehensive lessons learning Swahili not only became easier, but highly effective. Not to mention, the app runs smoothly, and you can bring it with you anywhere, meaning you can learn anytime and anywhere you want.
Stand Out Features
- Bite-sized lessons are easy to comprehend, plus plenty of grammar tips.
- Speaking practice from hundreds of dialogues that depict real-life situations.
- Exercises to help you master grammar, and vocabulary to gain confidence in your speaking skills.
- Real-life conversations with the AI-powered chatbot.
- 6 Months:$39.99
- Yearly:$79.99 (7-day free trial available)
- Lifetime: $149.99
Preply is a platform for those who prefer to have someone there to teach and guide them through their language-learning process. This platform offers multiple languages and connects users with tutors and professional teachers who are native speakers from all around the world. This option might be convenient for beginners and intermediate learners who still don’t know where to start, or how to move forward. Preply enables students to set out their own language goals, and progress at their own pace. For more detailed overview, you can go through our Preply review.
Stand Out Features
- One-on-one lessons allow personalized attention and tailored learning experiences.
- Flexible scheduling: Learners can schedule lessons at times that are convenient for them.
- Global Network of Tutors: the platform allows learners to connect with tutors from around the world, giving them the opportunity to learn from native speakers and experienced educators.
- Starting price: $4.00/hour
- Prices vary depending on the tutor’s credentials and experience.
Duolingo is a popular language-learning app available for free on multiple devices. It offers a Swahili course that introduces users to the language. The course aims to familiarize learners with the basics of the language. However, some critics argue that the platform, in general, might be more of an entertaining game than a robust educational resource. Users can progress through the course, earning achievements such as virtual trophies, but opinions vary on the depth of knowledge gained from completing Duolingo courses. The Swahili course may serve as a starting point for learners, but some suggest alternative and more effective study methods. Here is our detailed review of the Duolingo app.
Stand Out Features
- Gamified Learning turns language learning into a game with levels, achievements, and rewards to engage users.
- Placement Test to determine learners’ language level.
- Adaptive Learning adjusts the difficulty of exercises based on user performance.
- Free version
- Super Duolingo: $6.99/month
Drops is a good language learning platform for beginners who want to start by building a strong vocabulary arsenal. It also features great illustrations to help learners comprehend the words and retain the information, as well as learning statistics for assessing their progress. The app also provides feedback and rewards for completing tasks, offering positive reinforcement that encourages continued learning. You can add our Drops review for a detailed overview.
Stand Out Features
- Illustrated and engaging lessons to create visual associations with new words.
- Systematic practice and review of vocabulary for effective memorization.
- Listening tests to help you improve your listening skills.
- 7-day free trial available
- Monthly: $13.00
SwahiliPod101 is another platform of the family Innovative Language.com which offers a wide range of language courses, based on audio and video lessons alongside multimedia learning materials, interactive exercises, grammar notes, and more. The Premium Plus plan offers 1-on-1 lessons with a personal Swahili teacher who will provide personalized feedback, guidance, and assessments via private messenger.
Stand Out Features
- In-Depth Lesson Notes: learners can gain a deeper understanding of the language lessons by using comprehensive explanations and supplementary materials.
- Spaced Repetition Flashcards: the spaced repetition algorithm of the app determines when to show each flashcard again based on the user’s previous responses to optimize memory retention.
- Writing & Pronunciation Practice: the writing exercises enable learners to construct sentences, fostering the development of grammatical accuracy and language fluency while pronunciation exercises help learners articulate sounds accurately, thereby enhancing their spoken language skills.
- Free (limited features)
- Basic monthly plan: $1.96
- Premium monthly plan: $4.90
- Premium plus monthly plan:$11.21
6. Simply Learn Swahili
Simply Learn Swahili is a free language-learning app tailored for users looking to learn Swahili quickly and effectively, especially when visiting Kenya. With over 300 phrases and words, the app covers essential communication topics such as greetings, directions, dining, and emergencies. It has audio recorded by native speakers from Kenya, and the phrases are presented in both phonetic and original Swahili writing. Users can enhance their learning through flashcards, spaced repetition, and fun quizzes.
For users seeking an even more extensive language-learning experience, the app’s pro version expands on the free version by introducing advanced conversation topics and additional categories such as health, border crossings, and romance. In general, Simply Learn Swahili provides a user-friendly and comprehensive tool for learning Swahili, made available to both casual learners and those seeking a more in-depth learning experience.
Stand Out Features
- 1000+ phrases in 33 categories.
- High-quality audio recorded by a native speaker.
- User-friendly interface that provides enjoyable navigation.
- In-App Purchases
- Simply Learn Swahili Pro:$8.99
Why Learn Swahili?
Want to learn how to say more than just Hakuna Matata? If so, we have some good news for you! The Swahili language is actually one of the easiest languages to learn as an English speaker. This is because, unlike in other languages, the words are presented exactly how they should be pronounced! That being said, you should be able to communicate, write, and understand the grammar quite easily. Isn’t that great news?
If you plan to travel to Swahili or have friends who speak Swahili, learning a couple of words from time to time through a simple Google search is definitely the way to go, especially if you don’t have time to learn actual phrases. But, if you want to go further, get to know the culture, and have more meaningful connections, you will have to deepen your study of the language.
However, it doesn’t have to be a tedious experience! Using language learning apps is a great way to practice any language for as little as 10 minutes a day! Whether it is through fun lessons or mini-games, you should be able to grasp the language easier through these apps than through rigid language classes or even intense tutoring sessions!
Learn Swahili With Ling!
With just a few clicks and taps on your phone or laptop, you can be exposed to a whole new experience of language learning! By using the Ling app, you can learn Swahili or any other language effectively and use your language skills to help you make meaningful connections and bridge yourself to lasting relationships all around the globe.
The app offers lessons in over 60 languages, so, no matter what language you want to learn, Ling is there for you! Whether you want to start speaking or writing Ukrainian or Korean, you can do it all on the Ling app! Did we mention that this is also one of the very few language-learning apps that feature a chatbot? This means that you can practice speaking in real-time directly with the app’s interactive AI software.