Attention language learners! Have you been thinking about downloading a language learning app? Are you stuck between Duolingo, Rosetta Stone, and Babbel? Well, something important you must know is that there’s no Bulgarian on Babbel(or the other two apps either). Today we look at why that might be and why Ling is the best alternative for you.
First, some info: The Bulgarian language is a Slavic language and is the native language to people from Bulgaria. Bulgaria was the first written language in the area and used the Cyrillic alphabet. It is similar to other Slavic languages, so learning this is mutually beneficial when learning others.
Why Is There No Bulgarian On Babbel?
We’re going to try and look past the obvious like there are not enough speakers(8 million native speakers) and that it is dwarfed by English and nearby neighbors such as Turkey and Russia.
Developments At Babbel
Babbel is based in Berlin and has received a lot of investment from powerful German companies. It has adapted its business model in the last year and is moving away from being a traditional app. It’s introduced live classes in the same style as tutoring platforms EnglishFirst, Ling Live, and Cambly.
The classes are capped at six students and are conversation-driven. Classes can be added to the subscription for $110 for four classes per month.
Babbel also has engineered language learning games and short stories so users can practice vocabulary. They’re also expanding their platform to include videos about cultural elements of countries.
It remains to be seen if Babbel can nail its quality control which many platforms have problems with. That’s in the sense of teachers hired, materials, and the stability of the software. Live teaching is more complex than an app.
Reasons To Learn Bulgarian
The most obvious reason to learn Bulgarian is that it’s the best way to converse with native Bulgarian speakers. Wherever you go in the world, people are very appreciative if you make an effort with their language. Another reason people don’t consider is the business opportunities available in Bulgaria. As we’ve discussed before with countries that were formerly part of the USSR, they were economically hampered for many years. It’s the same story all over Eastern Europe. Reforms in the 1990s saw most of these countries transformed by the free market, and now a lot of them have surging economies. Bulgaria is another country with tremendous opportunities to invest in.
Instead, we’re going to focus on why a lot of you might be reading this, and that’s for travel, and more specifically, we’re going to list some reasons why you should visit Bulgaria.
- Cost. Bulgaria is cheap, and we mean really cheap. You’re looking at perhaps a 1/4 the price of famous European capitals like Paris or London. It’s widely cited as being the most affordable country in Europe.
- The beaches. People forget that Bulgaria has some of the most beautiful beaches globally. The sea that the beaches border is known as the black sea, and there is over 300km of coastline. If you’re booking, some names to look out for are Golden Sands beach, Sunny beach, Sozopal central beach, and Albena beach. A particularly nice seaside town is the Unesco listed Nessebar, also called the pearl of the black sea.
- The mountains. On the flipside are the mountains of Bulgaria. The Rila range is the countries most famous and translates into well-watered. That would explain why there are so many picturesque lakes. These mountains are a hiker’s paradise. Another Unesco listed site and also perfect for hikers is the Pirin national park.
- Monasteries. These have the double benefit of being historical artifacts and spiritually rejuvenating. Scattered through Bulgaria, there are 120 monasteries. The most famous is the Rila monastery at the aforementioned Rila mountain range. Other religious buildings include many cathedrals, including St Aleksander Nevsky Cathedral.
- Bulgarian cuisine. Bulgarian foods, like a lot in the Baltic region, are heavy. Popular items are meatballs, vegetable stews, and special breads.
Alternatives To Learning Bulgarian
- Learn Bulgarian online with Youtube. This is a tremendous resource, especially for practicing your listening. Another positive is that through Youtube, you learn a great deal about the culture. Often an app doesn’t have the resources to include multiple video guides. Finally, you’ll feel part of an active community. Knowing that other learners are struggling (and having fun) along with you gives you a tremendous feeling of solidarity. The best channel currently on Youtube for learning Bulgarian with online lessons is learn Bulgarian with Bulgarian pod 101
- Learn Bulgarian With Ling!
Learn Bulgarian With Ling Language Courses
Now we explain why Ling is the best place to learn Bulgarian (or any new language). If you download our app, you gain access to our unique language learning system that gives you access to our optimal learning methods. We don’t focus on one particular skill. Instead, there is equal practice on reading, listening, vocabulary, and speaking.
Ling is best used daily when you select our Bulgarian course. We don’t encourage you to go for hours at a time. Instead, keep your learning manageable with 15-minute bite-sized lessons. Perfect for on the go when you have a little time to kill.
Although we don’t have a Bulgarian blog, we do have a weekly blog from nearby Albania that provides cultural insights in the Baltic region and a language tips blog that applies universal methods to learning any language.
Learning languages has never been as fun. Come over and speak Bulgarian now.