Still not confident about your Vietnamese skills? If you are planning to take on a quick trip to Vietnam, one way by which you can easily hone your skills is by using common Vietnamese shopping vocabulary. We understand that it somehow feels confusing and intimidating trying to make random conversations with the locals. However, adding a few bits of words and using some expressions while buying can be a lot easier to do for beginners in the Vietnamese language. Short interactions like this can help you practice and see whether the locals can understand what you mean. Ready to learn more? Let’s get started!
Vietnamese Shopping Culture: Tips And Facts
Before we start with the details of an expressive word or a sentence related to a clothing store, let us first take a quick tour of relevant Vietnamese shopping services and facts that will enable you to enjoy your Vietnamese trip effectively.
- Vietnamese markets are known for their indigenous goods. In fact, the country has a bustling craft and artisan culture, which is why first-time travelers should always leave some space in their luggage to squeeze in Vietnamese products.
- A fun fact about Vietnamese markets is that you will always find small stalls and food counters that serve ethnic food. So, if you go out shopping, you will never return home with an empty stomach since you can easily avail cheap yet sumptuous goodies on your way.
- Finding lovers is one of the oldest tales of Vietnamese markets. Most people only intend to find their better half among the crowd. This tradition has been going on for a long time and is true even today. If you see someone just loitering, it is a pretty sign they are looking and not buying.
Tips For Shopping
- The first tip that will bring you a great shopping spree in Vietnam is the bargaining technique. The shopkeepers are sure to speak about high prices and promote expensive products. Still, if you know how to bargain and reduce the cost with care, the shopkeepers will happily accept whatever money you have negotiated. Especially in local markets, there are no fixed pricing rules. Remember this before your visit.
- Visit a silk clothing store to make your time worthwhile in Vietnamese markets. Vietnam is known for its fantastic silk clothing products and embroidery fabrics that cost only 10 US dollars. If you love clothes, this is one thing you should not miss out on.
- The last tip that I would like to mention is saving up money. Vietnamese markets are vast and neverending. So, save a minimum amount even when you see the most mesmerizing product because the wonder will keep coming. Especially the jewelry and art sections need your attention. So, choose wisely and take your time before developing a liking for things you see.
Now that you know how to shop and what to shop in Vietnamese markets, here is a list of the best Vietnamese supermarket to shop at.
- The Green Boutique on Phu Quoc Island
- Dan Sinh Market in Hồ Chí Minh
- Central Market in Hoi An
- Hang Bac Street in Hanoi
30+ Vietnamese Shopping Vocabulary
Finally, in the next lesson, we will learn common Vietnamese words related to shopping and the market. Knowing these terms will ensure you have a blast in Vietnam and get all the amazing stuff for your friends and family.
Most people fail to search for a good website and content to learn Vietnamese before their trip. But you got lucky! Here is a complete list of all the common Vietnamese words with proper pronunciation and translation that you will constantly hear in Vietnam and everything you can use to express and remove any language barrier.
- Ads = Quảng cáo
- Assistant = Trợ lý
- Bill = Hóa đơn
- Bargain = Mặc cả
- Buy = Mua
- Brand = Nhãn hiệu
- Bag = Cái túi
- Cashier = Thu ngân
- Customer = khách hàng
- Counter = Phản đối
- Changing room = Phòng thay đồ
- Cheque = Kiểm tra
- Cheap = Rẻ
- Coin = Đồng tiền
- Coupon = Phiếu mua hàng
- Cost = Phí tổn
- Credit Card = Thẻ tín dụng
- Delivery = Vận chuyển
- Department = Phòng
- Deposit = Tiền gửi
- Discount = Miễn giảm
- Exchange = Trao đổi
- Expensive = Đắt tiền
- Franchise = Nhượng quyền thương mại
- Gift = Quà tặng
- Hire = Thuê
- Leaflet = Tờ rơi
- Luxury = Sang trọng
- Mall = Trung tâm mua sắm
- Money = Tiền bạc
- Order = Gọi món
- Offer = Lời đề nghị
- Product = Sản phẩm
- Purchase = Mua, tựa vào, bám vào
- Pay = Trả tiền
- Price = Giá bán
- Queue = Xếp hàng
- Retail = Bán lẻ
- Return = Trở về
- Sale = Doanh thu
- Sample = Vật mẫu
- Shop = Cửa hàng
- Stock = Cổ phần
- Save = Tiết kiệm
- Sell = Bán
- Wholesale = Bán sỉ
Learn Vietnamese Shopping Phrases
Are you enjoying the common words and their translation? If you are, it is a sign that you should move ahead and learn some of the relevant Vietnamese phrases related to shopping. Knowing these phrases with proper pronunciation will help you avoid fraud and lead to a successful venture in the Vietnamese markets.
Cái này bao nhiêu?
English Translation: How much is this?
You can sue the phrase Cái này bao nhiêu? When you want to ask the shopkeeper about the cost or price of the item, this one is the most direct expression you should use.
Bạn chấp nhận tiền mặt hay séc?
English Translation: Do you accept cash or cheque?
Although being a tourist makes cash preference higher, you can still give it a shot. When you buy an expensive item, you can proceed and ask the question Bạn chấp nhận tiền mặt hay séc?. It will help you out with the shopkeeper’s options.
Giá thấp nhất là bao nhiêu?
English Translation: What is the lowest price?
If something seems too overpriced, you can start your bargain by asking Giá thấp nhất là bao nhiêu?. It will help the vendors know that you want the lowest possible cost for an item.
Bạn có thiết kế khác?
English Translation: Do you have other designs?
To ask for different patterns or designs regarding a similar product you like, you can ask Bạn có thiết kế khác?
Nó quá đắt
English Translation: It is way too expensive
If you want to express your thoughts regarding an overpriced product, you can say Nó quá đắt or Nó rất đắt. Sometimes, this expression urges the shopkeeper to reduce the price and make it affordable.
Tôi muốn mua mặt hàng này
English Translation: I want to buy this item.
When it’s time to let the keeper know what you want to purchase, you can point out the item and say Tôi muốn mua mặt hàng này. It will signal the vendor that you want that particular item.
Bạn có thể báo giá lại được không?
English Translation: Can you reduce the price?
To act polite and generous while trying to bargain, you can say Bạn có thể báo giá lại được không?. Knowing such phrases will alert the vendor that you cannot be scammed.
Other Common Expressions
- Do you take online payment? Bạn có thanh toán trực tuyến không?
- Where is my change? Tiền lẻ của tôi ở đâu?
- I like this item. Tôi thích mặt hàng này
- Can I get a bag, please? Cho tôi xin một cái túi được không?
- Do you sell any specialty products? Bạn có bán sản phẩm đặc sản nào không?
- I want the cheaper version. Tôi muốn phiên bản rẻ hơn
- Thank you so much for your service. Cảm ơn bạn rất nhiều cho dịch vụ của bạn
Go Shopping In Vietnam With Confidence
Are you ready to go shopping through every corner of Vietnamese markets? Learning these words like Tiền bạc, Miễn giảm, etc., will only make your shopping experience a fraud-free and relaxing one. Being a tourist, we cannot that there’s a high chance of being scammed. But when you know the basic phrases and words, your shop venture around the streets of Vietnam will be a success. Moreover, it is a stepping stone toward speaking Vietnamese fluently. It will improve your skills and enhance your vocabulary.
Want to learn more? The Ling App is here to help you.
Learn With Ling App
You should do it immediately if you haven’t tried the Ling App yet. You can download the app in both AppStore and PlayStore. Ling App is a language learning app that provides content in over 60 languages covering numerous topics such as food, music, grammar, and even culture. You can learn any topic you like immediately after downloading the app without any issues. The best part about the app is that it has an AI chatbot that helps you improve your communication skills. So, what are you waiting for? Don’t miss out on this amazing resource! Download Ling and start learning the Vietnamese language today!