Want to know all there is about the terms used to describe colors in Portuguese? We got you covered! In today’s post, we will walk you through all there is to know related to this topic so that you can talk about this confidently with the locals. After all, colors play a huge role due to their symbolism and character. If you are ready to learn from that, let’s get started!
What Are The Colors In Portuguese?
What Do We Use Colors For?
What do we use colors for? Almost everything! We use colors to describe scenery, places, things, and much more! But what exactly is almost everything? Allow us to walk you over a few points!
- Describe hair color = Descreva a cor do cabelo
- Describe clothing = Descrever roupas
- Describe nature = Descrever a natureza
- Tell someone your favorite color when they ask = Diga a alguém sua cor favorita quando eles perguntarem
- Point out cool things in the area like; cars, houses, people, and more! = Aponte coisas legais na área como; carros, casas, pessoas e muito mais!
Not only do we use colors to describe people, places, things, and more, but we also use them in the form of idioms! First things first, what exactly is an idiom? Idioms are a group of words pieced together to form a figurative and non-literal phrase or expression. Here are some examples:
- Caught red-handed: This phrase is often used in a bad way. This idiom means to catch someone in the act of doing something wrong. We will give you an example.
- Green thumb: This is another common idiom that is used all over the world. Essentially this idiom means being really good with planting, farming, and/or gardening.
- Black sheep: This one, we are sure you have heard this on several shows and movies, but in case you don’t quite understand, here is what it means! This idiom means to be the outcast essentially. For example:
- Out of the blue: This idiom is used in the case of being surprised or having something unexpected happen to you.
- Green with envy: This is commonly used when someone is highly jealous of someone or something else.
Phrases Involving Colors
As mentioned before, colors are essential for almost everything. We depend so much on it in our daily lives so much whether we are working, driving, communicating, and so much more! Let’s move on to some fun phrases that involve colors, such as asking about what someone’s favorite color is! Here are some examples:
Learn Portuguese Using Ling App
Did you enjoy learning about these Portuguese colors? Then search no further! This is your sign to download the Ling App now!
Why is the Ling App best for you? Because not only do our services offer learning at the pace you want, but you can also take bite-sized lessons for words, grammar, and so much more! The Ling App is also highly interactive and is extremely easy to navigate. It may sound crazy, but why not try it for yourself and start talking in Portuguese today? If you are ready, download the app for free on the Play Store and the Apple Store now!