Hey there, money mavens! Did you know that the Thai banking system has been around since the 19th century? That’s right, even before the internet was invented! But don’t let its age fool you; it’s still one of the most efficient and technologically advanced banking systems in the world. Now, if you’re planning a trip to Thailand and you’re looking to do some banking, it’s important to brush up on your Thai bank vocabulary.
Trust me, you don’t want to be caught off guard when the bank teller starts throwing around words like ‘savings account’ and ‘ATM withdrawal fee.’ So, let’s get started and learn some Thai bank lingo that’ll have you banking like a local in no time!
List Of Thai Bank Vocabulary
Here are some examples of common banking and bank-related vocabulary in Thai, along with their English meanings.
Banking System In Thailand
The Thai banking system (Rabb ṭhnākhār – ระบบธนาคาร) is made up of many banks, both local and foreign. These banks offer a wide range of financial services (Brikār thāngkārngein – บริการทางการเงิน) to individuals and businesses, including savings accounts (Bạỵchī xxm thrạphy̒ – บัญชีออมทรัพย์), loans (s̄incheụ̄̀x – สินเชื่อ), and investment (kār lngthun – การลงทุน) products.
The Bank of Thailand (Ṭhnākhār h̄æ̀ng pratheṣ̄thịy – ธนาคารแห่งประเทศไทย) is the central bank of the country and is responsible for overseeing the banking system, ensuring financial stability, and regulating monetary policy.
There are two types of banks in Thailand: commercial banks and specialized financial institutions. Commercial banks are the most common type of bank and provide a wide range of financial services to individuals and businesses. Specialized financial institutions, on the other hand, provide more specific services such as leasing, factoring, and agricultural financing.
One of the unique aspects of the Thai banking system is that it is heavily focused on cash (ngeins̄d – เงินสด) transactions. Cash is still the preferred method of payment for many Thais, and as a result, banks in Thailand have a large number of ATMs and branches.
In recent years, the Thai government has been promoting electronic payment methods (wiṭhī kār chảra ngein thāng xilĕkthrxniks̄̒ – วิธีการชำระเงินทางอิเล็กทรอนิกส์) to reduce reliance on cash. This has led to the growth of digital banking and mobile payment services, which are becoming increasingly popular among younger generations.
Overall, the banking system of Thailand is considered to be stable and well-regulated. The Bank of Thailand regularly conducts stress tests on banks to ensure their financial soundness, and there are strict regulations in place to prevent money laundering and other financial crimes.
Basic Thai Phrases Related To Banking
Here are 10 basic banking and bank-related phrases in Thai, along with their English word meanings.
- Hello, I would like to open a bank account: Sawahtdee kha, chan dtawng-gaan bpeert ban-chee tha-naa-kaan (สวัสดีค่ะ ฉันต้องการเปิดบัญชีธนาคาร).
- I would like to withdraw money from my account: Chan dtawng-gaan taawn ngern jaak ban-chee (ฉันต้องการถอนเงินจากบัญชี).
- I would like to know the interest rate: Chan yaak sa-rahp a-dtraa dawk-bia (ฉันอยากทราบอัตราดอกเบี้ย).
- I don’t know the PIN of my ATM card: Chan mai roo rahat-paan kong bat ATM (ฉันไม่รู้รหัสผ่านของบัตร ATM).
- I want to transfer money to an external account: Chan dtawng-gaan on-ngern hai gap ban-chee phaai-naawk (ฉันต้องการโอนเงินให้กับบัญชีภายนอก).
- I didn’t pay the fee: Chan mai dai tam gaan cham-ra khaa-tham-ma-nee-yom (ฉันไม่ได้ทำการชำระค่าธรรมเนียม).
- Where is the nearest bank branch: Saa-khaa tha-naa-kaan thee glai thee soot yuu tee nai kha (สาขาธนาคารที่ใกล้ที่สุดอยู่ที่ไหนคะ?).
- I would like to request a bank statement: Chan dtawng-gaan kor chek ban-chee kha (ฉันต้องการขอเช็คบัญชีค่ะ).
- I would like to apply for a loan: Chan dtawng-gaan kor goo ngern (ฉันต้องการขอกู้เงิน).
- Can I use my credit card abroad: Chan sa-maa-rot chai bat kra-dit dai nai dtang bpra-tet mai kha (ฉันสามารถใช้บัตรเครดิตได้ในต่างประเทศไหมคะ).
To Wrap Up
The Thai banking system is diverse and offers a wide range of financial services to individuals and businesses. It is overseen by the Central Bank of Thailand and is considered to be stable and well-regulated.
While cash is still king, the government is actively promoting electronic payment methods to reduce the reliance on cash and encourage the growth of technology-based digital banking services. Also, it is a good idea anyway to use digital payment options instead of cash while shopping in a foreign land.
Learn Thai With Ling!
So, how did you find this blog post article on Thai vocabulary related to the banking system? Did it make things easy for you, at least a bit?
You know what? There are many well-curated articles on the Thai language that make learning Thai vocabulary interesting. You can simply head to Ling – the best language-learning platform that you can lay your hands upon.
The Ling app is an innovative platform that combines advanced tools and engaging linguistic techniques for easy learning through various interactive features. You can learn new words, gain knowledge through engaging audio lessons, and participate in a challenging quiz. All this and more via a gamified interface. Not only can you learn Thai from this app, but you can also master 60+ other Southeast Asian and European languages.
So, go to Google Play Store or Apple App Store and download the Ling app now!